Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
311Hemi

Riding mower engine swap?

4 posts in this topic

I have a Yard Man riding mower with a bad 15hp Kohler engine. I am looking to replace the engine but am wondering if I would be able to put a smaller 12hp engine in it. I'm not sure what effect this would have on the mower. I have seen a few 12hp engines around for a decent price. Otherwise Northern Tool has a 14hp Tecumpseh for like $450.

Try this HSOforum smallenginewarehouse d o t c o m

really good prices on engines

FWIW, I obtained a 20hp blown Briggs engined, Yard Man lawn tractor a couple years ago. I could not find a replacement engine that I could do myself without major effort cost... so I brought to Hugo Feed Mill shop and Eddie put a new Briggs 22hp V-Twin in, and it cost me $925 - he said there were several things they had to modify to get it to fit. Just to give you my cost for slightly bigger engine and labor. It has been running great, has 46" deck and cost less than getting a new tractor of that size.

Thanks for the info. The more I look into it I don't think I am going to find a somewhat easy/cheap fix as I originally thought. There are some decent newer riders out there for $500 and my needs are not all that excessive for the size yard I have.