• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trimec Plus Vs 24d Vs Gordon's Trimec?

311Hemi

Wife wants to try to take care of some dandelions and crab grass in the yards and after doing some research here I have been looking at trying either Trimec Plus, Gordon's Trimec or 2-4-d.

Is my understanding correct that 24d is for broad leaf only (dandelions) and not for crabgrass vs Trimec Plus that is for both broad leaf and crab grass?

I know some of you guys also recommended Ornamentum or something like that. Can that be used for both dandelions and crab grass?

One last question, I assume I should not use these products on an area I overseeded late last fall?

If you are looking to control crabgrass and broadleaf weeds, You will want to use the Trimec plus. I have never used it but the label says it will control crabgrass.

Just remember, it it a post-emergent herbicide, so you will want to wait and apply it when you see crabgrass.

The product I use is Momentum Q which works great to control grassy weeds and broadleaf weeds.

If the grass you have planted in the fall is growing enough and you have mowed it a couple times, you should be able to spray it.

If you are looking to control crabgrass and broadleaf weeds, You will want to use the Trimec plus. I have never used it but the label says it will control crabgrass.

Just remember, it it a post-emergent herbicide, so you will want to wait and apply it when you see crabgrass.

The product I use is Momentum Q which works great to control grassy weeds and broadleaf weeds.

If the grass you have planted in the fall is growing enough and you have mowed it a couple times, you should be able to spray it.

I second all of this.

The Trimec however won't have any fertilizing value to it, so if you're going to put some fertilizer down as well, it'll be cheaper to put down a crabgrass preventer, and then spray the normal Trimec for the dandelions.

The Trimec however won't have any fertilizing value to it, so if you're going to put some fertilizer down as well, it'll be cheaper to put down a crabgrass preventer, and then spray the normal Trimec for the dandelions.

So something more like a pellet weed and feed? I have not fertilized this year, nor last fall and I think the yard needs it. If a weed and feed, any decent ones to consider? With the rain expected this week would it be a good time to do this?

Lesco or John Deere Landscapes.

It's NOT going to be cheap.

If you have 7,000 sq ft of yard, it's sprayed at 1 oz per 1000 sq ft, so you'd need 7 ounces.

I think the smallest amount you can buy would be 1 gallon, or 128 ounces.

This next part is going to get a bit technical.

I was talking with my chemical rep yesterday, and we were comparing prices between Momentum and Momentum Q.

We decided that it would be most economical to use a crabgrass preventer, and the regular Momentum for the broadleaf weeds.

Drive 75, which is a post emergent crabgrass control has dropped in price, so the little breakthrough that one would see with a decent crabgrass preventer with Dimension, would be a better option.

Anyways, with that said, that's the route I went.

There are many options as far a broadleaf control product, by companies like Bonide, Fert-i-lome, Scotts, Ortho.

My only suggestion is that one not buy them at box store. Alot of those places have product that's watered down, as they don't want people coming in saying they destroyed the lawn.