• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowfishing Pics HERE!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to get out this morning for a couple hours. My first choice of spots was being fished (shore spots) so I moved to plan B, pulled out the hippers and got after it...

GEDC0087.jpg

I managed triplets!!! 29.5" in length, 20" girth, all egg laden females. I was hoping for smaller males in my A spot, to get some for the smoker, but this works too. grin Shallow, dirty water on the North shore of the lake. The place to be early season. Fish were croosing and feeding, no spawning activity yet, and the feeding was rooting around in the mud and roots. All the fish I saw were beat up, missing scales, and chunks of skin, all mucusy and nasty looking.

Fun time though.

Nice mixed bag!!! Looks like you had a LOT of fun. Done from shore I assume with the waders and all. That is my favorite way to do it. That would be a good day of shooting for someone in a boat, so to do it from shore is even better.

I did get back out to my spot from the other day on friday morning. Just before the sun came over the treetops. I knew I would only have an hour or so before cloud cover came in and the water stoped warming. Missed a couple of big females and then stuck a 26" male I missed several times the day before. (very recognizable from his scarring) Well while I was out there an older guy had come walking down the street with a cup-o-coffee and was standing on the culvert watching me and chatting from time to time. So I toss this guy in the "catch barrel" (a sm otter sled) and wade back out to my spot. A couple minutes later I hear this old guy running down the street... With my fish!!!!! When I left I looked to make sure he diddnt toss it in the ditch or anything. I wonder if he will smoke it or feed his plants with it? If he would have asked I would have gladly given it to him, even hauled it and more if he wanted them. laughlaugh I couldn't help but giggle. gringrin Just the sight of this old guy beeting feet down the dirt road....

I will still get my smoked fish fix, just wont be carp....

carp shooter, looks like you had a awesome time! What do you do with all of them?

my buddy i shoot with works for a company dealing with hog farmers; so we give a lot of fish to his clients; otherwise ive kept and buried a few already this spring around my apple trees, and gave a few small buffalo and carp to a friends dad who smokes them.

I didnt get after any Buff this weekend but did get 33 big carp on Sunday. Several 20-25 lbs. Definately good action.

Wiggum, we know you like Buffalo, but this is the BOWFISHING section. Dont come on here and bash someone for legally harvesting rough fish with bow and arrow. Save that for the rough fish section. Our sport doesnt need the division.

Wiggum, we know you like Buffalo, but this is the BOWFISHING section. Dont come on here and bash someone for legally harvesting rough fish with bow and arrow. Save that for the rough fish section. Our sport doesnt need the division.

Hey big man, I bowfish, too. I'm just hoping to spread some knowledge on the subject. It's a pet peeve of mine when certain bowfishing clubs and guides promote the removal of native rough fish (i.e. buffalo carp). Buffalo are not even related to carp. If you want to shoot them, go ahead, but don't make it out like you're doing the gamefish population a favor by killing a bunch of buffalo and suckers. They coexisted just fine before you and your bow came along.

I have no problem with bowfishing in general, shooting a couple thousand carp, or even shooting some suckers or buffalo that will be put to good use, but there is no good reason to eradicate native roughfish from our waters.

Would you have a problem if I used a limit of walleye daily as fertilizer? It's legal, so why shouldn't I do it?

Sorry our views differ, but Fishing Minnesota is about spreading knowledge, which is what I'm doing. If you've got a problem with it, take it up with an FM administrator.

I know you bowfish, that's why it bothers me to have you say something like that. No one's talking about eradicating Buffalo, but they are a big, prolific, underutilized species and aside from maybe some of the nonnative fishermen those fish taken with bow are probably the only Buffalo harvested from that lake. Compare that with hauling pail after pail of Bluegill and Crappie out of a lake and I don't think its anything to get too worried about. By the way I do smoke all my Suckers and eat quite a few Buffalo.

Ralph Wiggum, wow. Might want to cut down on the morning coffee.

Thanks for that insightful bit of wisdom.

If I come across as an a-hole, sorry, but it irks me when people kill a native fish for the sake of killing it. Just because it is of no value to you doesn't mean it's of no value. Buffalo are good for the lakes and are tremendous fighters when hooked.

I try to defend bowfishermen because I consider myself one, but there are a lot of bad eggs out there giving the moral and ethical bowfishermen a bad name.

Originally Posted By: mncarphntr

Hey big man, I bowfish, too. I'm just hoping to spread some knowledge on the subject. It's a pet peeve of mine when certain bowfishing clubs and guides promote the removal of native rough fish (i.e. buffalo carp). Buffalo are not even related to carp. If you want to shoot them, go ahead, but don't make it out like you're doing the gamefish population a favor by killing a bunch of buffalo and suckers. They coexisted just fine before you and your bow came along.

I have no problem with bowfishing in general, shooting a couple thousand carp, or even shooting some suckers or buffalo that will be put to good use, but there is no good reason to eradicate native roughfish from our waters.

Would you have a problem if I used a limit of walleye daily as fertilizer? It's legal, so why shouldn't I do it?

Sorry our views differ, but Fishing Minnesota is about spreading knowledge, which is what I'm doing. If you've got a problem with it, take it up with an FM administrator.

Wow! Well said wink