• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Well the lay-offs have been one week at a time with work in between - have one more week off after this one. Guess if it has to happen might as well be during fishing/turkey hunting or fall hunting.

Saw lots of muskies down in southern WI but they were just getting done spawning and not into the feeding mode yet. Did catch some really nice largemouths though.

Shell can be hit or miss but usually we do well on at least two species. Just need some decent weather without much wind, that bowl shaped lake doesn't need much wind to get the whitecaps rolling. I'll have my buds kid, my godson, in the boat with me - we have a blast.

My inlaws used to rent a cabin on the lake. Just loved going up there. To bad all the aunts couldnt get along. My father inlaw and his brothers had enough of the women folk and let the place go after the lease was up. frown

Despite some nasty weather we did pretty good on Shell this past weekend. Caught more hammerhandle northerns than I could count. A bunch of decent largemouth on Thurs plus a 17 and 19" smallie. Only a few eyes that evening, did get a nice 19". Friday we fished a small lake in the area and caught some nice largemouth and more small pike. Fished in a downpour on Shell that evening and got skunked. Tried another small lake on Sat and caught some small bass plus one that was 21.5" and went an even 5lbs! Hit Shell for the evening and caught probably 20 eyes and more small pike - most of the eyes were smaller males, did manage a couple between 15 and 18". Went out Sunday morning and caught two nice smallies, a few small largemouth, and believe it or not more little slimmies. We did pick up a few crappies on Thurs and Sat night. Lots of wind, rain, and even a few snowflakes on Sat morning. Need a good, steady warm spell. Water temps were around 53-54 degrees.

Will be back up there in a year!

The ice is good with trucks driving all over the bay. There is a plowed road most of the way to the main lake. Past that there are some decent truck trails out there. I even took my little car out there through some of the truck tracks last weekend.

I have fished Shell Lake probably 3 or 4 times this year and I hate to say it but I have not caught one fish out there. My good friend lives in Spooner and has hit it a few times as well with the same results I've had. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I am pretty frustrated with Shell to say the least. I'm tempted to write Shell off on one hand and fish lakes that I have better luck on. On the other hand I really want to prove to myself I can put myself on fish out there. Anyways I hope you do better than I have out there. Let us know how you do.