• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Didn't winterize trimmer...

fishinJohn

Question

I have a husqvarna weed wacker that is maybe three or four years old and I did nothing to winterize it and now I have trouble. It will start and run a bit with the choke on full or half way and if I play with it I can keep it running for 30 seconds or so but whenever I try to take the choke off it dies right away. I tried fresh gas/oil and a new spark plug with no improvement. Any ideas to try before calling a service center? What besides running a little stabil through do people do to their trimmers over winter? THANKS!

13 answers to this question

Your carb is gummed up. Best bet is to take it in or clean it out yourself. Most likely a tiny bit of dirt is in the high speed passage from your description of choking it to run.

Before you take it in I would try running some seafoam through it. There have been times when I had an engine that didn't run right so I ran some seafoam through it and brought it back. I run seafoam in all my two stroke gas year round. It is a fuel stabilizer also so there is no need to do anything special when you put it away for the year.

Thanks, any recommendations for a cleaning agent? I had it open somewhat already, when cleaning would you spray cleaner all over or just in and around the butterfly valves? I appreciate the help.

While the Seafoam idea may work,it's a long shot at best. You can also use fuel injector cleaner from the auto store, a couple of tablespoons in the tank would be a place to start. If it clears up, drain the tank and replace the cleaner with fresh premix.

Unfortunately, you are probably looking at removing the carb, taking it apart and cleaning the internal passages to remove the obstruction. A can of spray Gumout works well as the pressure of the cleaner will push most gunk out of the tiny internal passages. NEVER use a wire to do the cleaning! If you do not feel comfortable doing this, take it to a shop. It's fairly simple and should not cost a lot to have it done.

As others have said, dirty carb. I'd turn the high speed needle in till it just makes contact counting the turns as you go.

Now back the needle all the way out removing it. Back flush gas thought it. That might flush out a piece of dirt. Look at the tip of the needed for damage or crud. Clean needle with a carb cleaner. Reinstall needle turning it in till it just makes contact then back it out(you counted the turns).

Start it up. It might run well or you might not see any improvement. Your starving for gas so you'll richen the high speed mixture by turning the high speed needle out 1/8 turns at a time. If you don't see any improvement by the high speed adjustment then your truly gummed up and will need to clean the carb and replaces the diaphragms.

Thanks again. I tried cleaning the carb as best I could and when putting it on I saw the gas line was cracked. I ordered a new one as well as new feul and air filters. They arrived and I put them in and it ran perfectly for about 15 minutes. Then it quit running and I can't get it to start, even with the choke on. I am not sure if something happened when it got hot; it is not like it is seized or anything. I now have an email in to the service center. Nothing worse than thinking you fixed something only to find a few minutes later that is is still broken. Maybe I'll get a Stihl next time.

Switch over to Amsoil Sabre 100:1, mix it at 13 oz per 5 gallons of gas (or equivalent ratio if smaller can) and you'll be good to go.

We leave the trimmers in the trailer at the end of the season, next spring get to the first yard and start them up and go.

We'll get 3-4 years out of a trimmer without ever winterizing them, and they're working a whole lot more than yours.

On other thing though, make sure you run it at full throttle. There's alot of people that try to run a trimmer at 1/2 or 1/3 throttle because they're afraid they're going to damage a tree, fencepost or siding, and that causes as much carbon buildup in the exhaust as the carb gumming up.

Which brings up another point, how does the carbon buildup in your exhaust port look?

You're right, my bad on the post.

8 ounces in 5 gallons, 80:1.

I've tried the 100:1, but burn up the trimmer, especially when we're trimming wide open throttle for 8 hours straight in July on the schools.

I had it in my head to not use the 13 ounces as you get carbon buildup, and ended up typing that.

Thanks Whoaru.

If you replace it get a Jonsered. I bought one from a friend of mine local dealer which promised never have a problem or he'll fix it for free.

It's my 6th year, I never winterize it, I just quit using it, and start again in spring. No Seafoam or Stabil. Every spring I dump old gas fill with new, pump primer, pull cord 3 times (maybe 4) and the "darn" thing runs like new.

I do it on purpose to get him, and I haven't been able to...

Now that you have a new gas line and the gas is being delivered to the carb as it should you might tried your early ways to start a gas starved engine and flooded it.

If so the first thing to do is take the choke off, hold full throttle and pull it over. That'll give the engine the most amount of air to blow out the excess fuel. It'll take a lot of pulls. If thats a no go then verify a flooded engine by pulling the spark plug. If the plug is wet, dry it. Pull the engine over with the plug removed. Install plug and start it up without choke.

After pulling the plug and its dry then your not getting gas.

Use the primer if it has on, full choke and try and start.

No go? Pull the plug again inspect. Still dry? Could be dry diaphragms, prime through the plug hole with mixed gas. Install plug and start. If it doesn't continue to run repeat the prime process. Give that a few tries before you clean and put a carb kit in.