Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Burnham

might have to pike fish some more

8 posts in this topic

today while crappie fishin i caught a 29.5 incher (7-8lbs?) on tonka. 4 lb test with my ultralight Gloomis G2. whooo was it a battle, around 10-15 minutes, much of which i couldnt even move the fish. i think i might do some pike fishin on opener lol...and i was by myself(thank God i brought a net in case), netted it with the rod in the other hand, wish i had brought the camera

Sounds like a nice pike. There is nothing wrong with targeting pike on opener, usually a lot more action than those pesky walleyes!!!

I know I'll be on a couple of my fav pike lakes on opener. I'm not much of a walleye guy and it gives me a good excuse to cast for something. Just gotta figure out the toothy critters are gonna be hiding on Saturday. Usually isn't tough to find em on certain lakes.

Yeah, why box yourself in on one species? I'm a walleye guy on those few days a year when I hit them well. I'm often a pike guy too. More action and it gets my blood pumping when you get those big toothies.

yea well i usually river fish for smallmouth and walleyes, and when lakes i typically target bass(obviously not now) or crappies. i am definately going to pike fish a bit more, its not like ive never targeted them before, just dont do it very often

i love fishing pike on my UL.. its so much fun.. and the fight is amazing.. there is a inland water i fish that is filled with 7-10+lb northern in it

Sounds like a similar situation I found myself in last Monday. I actually had my camera with me... and I always bring my net just in case something like this happens. 27" Pike on 5' St. Croix Premier UL with 2 lb. line:

363596651.jpg

...sorry about the strange face!

I was surprised to actually bring it to the boat with that puny noodle of a rod. In a few hours, that rod would become a 4'6". For some reason, the rod wouldn't hold up to a muskie hitting on a different 20" pike I had hooked... should of seen my face after that!

lol my rod broke the next time i was getting it out to use it cry, i think it weakened it pretty bad