• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat won't start - 2 stroke 20hp Merc '93

mroyten

Agh! Dumped the boat into the drink today and could not get her started. Wouldn't even hint at starting up. The thing is, is like 3 weeks ago I she started right up first time out for the season. I did a good job winterizing last fall and like I said she started fine 3 weeks ago. What could have happen?

Checked the plugs-fine & have spark, other than that not sure what to check out. Any suggestions?

Sounds like the carb is varnished up. Smell the gas, if it does not smell fresh, that would be my bet, I would pull the carb either get a kit for it or take it to a small engine shop to have cleaned and rekitted. Good luck

Not sure about that '93, but my late 80's Merc 25 has an actual on/off switch near the choke.

From time to time I've found that thing mysteriously turned off for some reason. I always use the kill button to turn it off so always forget about that darn switch.

Might want to check that.

Sure sounds like a fuel issue. Start with the tank and hose, is it getting gas to the carb? Do you have a squirt can to try and shoot some gas into the throat of the carb to see if it will fire?

Kill switch in on position-check. Yeah my neighbor is thinking it's the fuel, but how it in run fantastic last time? Think since the aged fuel got circulated and then sat in the engine, it caused this problem. Last year I put Stabil in it too.

I'm getting no attempt at starting when I give it a pull.

Ok so I'm not the most Engine savy guy but I think something is going on before the gas hits the carbs... I took off the fuel filter and cleaned that up and put it back and began squeezing the pump and the filter reservoir isn't refilling and my gas line pump isn't getting hard? hmm....

Plenty of gas, right? Be sure the connecters are on all the way and try holding the primer bulb vertical with the arrow pointing up and then sqeezeing. One of the check valves in the bulb may not be closing all the way in which case it may be time for a new bulb.

does it have a shut off valve under the tank? i think if you can get the filter off i would replace it, it may look clean but could be plugged. also if you have gone that far might as well replace the fuel line from the tank to carb. it might be breaking down inside and sending trash into the filter/carb. you may end up pulling the carb off and having it cleaned. that would be my thought before i went to the trouble of replacing all the hoses and filter and still having an issue. you could get some berrymans b-12 and spray in the carb to clean some of the varnish out. it will not take much especially on a two stroke to gum it up. hope this helps, jeff

I see this a lot with first time operations where the bulb is dry from storage and lack of use. The primer bulb is empty and fails to pick up gas. The check balls need gas the operate effectively.

Keep the bulb in a horizontal position and as low as possible while squeezing. Don't even attempt to start till you get the pressure up in the bulb or you'll be wasting your time.

Well boys, this one is for the books. I've owned the boat for 3 years and never ran into this before. I had to point the primer arrow up and then the gas finally got into then engine and started! Thanks for the help!

How do I go about checking the valves in the bulb?

Replacement bulbs are very cheap and you can get them almost any outdoor store its not fun to get to the landing or on the water and get stranded it's just a failure waiting to ruin your day of fishing don't worry about testing it just replace it it takes two hose clamps and you don't need to replace the gas line unless that is cracking real bad and then it would pay to replace that also.