• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dirt Bike for 9 year old?

Big Dave2

My son who will be 9 in about a month has outgrown his little 50cc youth chinese 4-wheeler. We sold that last week and now he is trying to decide if he wants a bigger wheeler or a dirt bike.

I am trying to determine what dirt bike would work for him if he chooses to go that route. He isn't real tall for his age but I have to think that most of the 50 cc's are going to be too small for him in the next couple of years for sure. I do think that he needs to start out with a fully automatic for his first bike. He will have enough to get used to without thinking about shifting gears.

Are there any specific models out there that you could recommend? Maybe a 70cc that has an auto tranny? I would like to buy used if I can find something that isn't all beat up but it is hard to research when you don't know specific models to look for. Any ideas?

I haven't been around dirt bikes in a few years but I do remember having a yz 80. It did sit a little high but if I remember right, you should be able to drop it a little with the mono shock. They really got some go to em though. I remember keeping up with 125's and some 250's

I have a 2006 CRF 70 that my kids just love. It has an automatic clutch with 3 forward gears. My 12 year old is getting a little big for it but it is great for my twin 9 year olds. They are also quite a bit cheaper to buy than a 4 wheeler. I think I paid around $1,400 for it new from a dealer. I think it will go aboout 30 MPH which is plenty fast for a first bike. If you step up to a CR, YZ or RM 80 or larger with a clutch those bikes may be to much to handel for a first bike. They have a suprizing amount of power.

I know 9 is a little younger, but my son got an early 90's Honda 100R last year. He was 11 years old at the time and is of average height and weight for an 11 year old. The 100R is almost a tad too small for him now, but will work another year until he wants something bigger or looses interest.

IMO, I would buy something very cheap for a first dirt bike. I have a friend who dropped some serious ching on a new Yamaha for his kid last spring (about 9 years old), only to find out he will not ride it all. Even with training wheels, does not like it at all. I think he still has it, but I have not talked to him about it since last fall when he said he would try it again this spring, since he could not get more then half his money back if he had sold it back then. He bought it new from the dealer and I think paid well over $2000 for it.

When I bought my son the 100R (I should say my son worked for it), it was either going to be a go-cart or dirt bike. I just kept an eye on the local for-sale ads and happen to find this bike at a garage sale for a $150.00. It needed a heli-coil for the spark plug threads, so I got him down to $100.00. My son and I fixed it up together and it runs great now. He has taken over the maint. and repairs totally now and the other day had the chain and rear tire off. Then had mom bring him up Dennis Kirk so he could pick up some new parts confused????? I do not even ask anymore grin All I ask is that he just picks up/puts away any of my tools he uses and does not make a mess.

You will never get that with a new bike wink.

Good luck!

Check out the Yamaha TTR-90. They have a low seat height, 3 speed automatic clutch, and plenty of power to grow with. They are bullet proof. They have a little lower seat heaight than the XR70. We had a XR50 and a TTR90 and the kids all switched to the 90 right away because of the better suspension and handling. It made it easier to ride. We also have a TTR-125 but that is too big for a 9 year old, but is a great bike. Stick with Honda and Yamaha and you will be fine. The cheap Chinese copies are junk and potentially unsafe for anything but backyard driving.

Thanks for the input guys!

Shackbash, it was nice meeting you on Sat. That sounds like you got a HECK of a deal on that dirt bike! I definitely don't want to spend too much for one until I see if he likes it. he did sell his Chinese toy and we are going to try to sell his old Kitty Cat snowmobile too to raise a few more funds for whatever we decide next.

As luck would have it, I had to pick up a co-worker at BP motorsports this morning because he was dropping off a bike for service. I went in and nosed around at what they had. Spearchucker, that TTR-90 is a sweet little bike, I'm just not ready to buy new yet. Do you know how long they have been making that model?

I was looking around on Craig's this morning too and it looks like there are quite a few PW80's on there. Motorsports had a PW80 in stock but it looks like they are no longer made this year according to the Yamaha literature. Anyone have any comments on the PW80? I know it is a 2 stroke instead of the 4 stroke on the TT-R90a and it does not have the electric start, but that's about all I know. These bikes look like the size that would fit my kid but I won't know unless I take him up there to sit on one.

Dave-

The kids have a 2004 Yamaha PW80 and love it. It has been very reliable for a 2-stroke and has plenty of power for your son's age. My 11 still enjoys it and my 8 year old is comfortable with it. ALways starts on the first or second kick, although it has to warm up a bit before taking off. I would not hesitate to get another one and yes, there are quite a few deals on C-list for this bike.

They have been making the TTR90 for 8 or 10 years. There are a lot of used ones out there so no need to buy new. It has been around a long time. You should be able to get a used one for around $750. In 2008 they switched to a TTR110. It is essentially the same bike with a little bigger engine. Mine is a 2001 without the electric start. You don't need electric start and I didn't want it. The kids need to learn how to kick start if they are going to ride in my opinion. Nothing wrong with the PW80 but I would go for the 4 stroke 90 if you can find one.

Dave, I just sold a Honda CRF70 with ALL the gear for $1100 last week. Had it on that HSOforum for a week. IMO that bike is too small for your boy I would buy something a little bigger my boy had outgrown the 70 by the time he was 10. I got it for him when he was 7

Quote:
Shackbash, it was nice meeting you on Sat.

Nice meeting you also BD2. smile I know we did not get to shack hands, but I know your face now. grin

Good luck with the bike.

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up picking up a used PW80 today. My boy was all smiles today when I brought it home. I want to look everything over before we give it the test run, which will hopefully be on sunday.

Lep,

Nope on the racetrack. This sucker is kept at my father-in-laws place out in the country. Too much temptation if I leave it at home, and too many ways to get in trouble!

A little update on the riding progress........

I took him out on Sunday and he took to it instantly. I thought it would be a little harder of a learning curve but he cruised all over for hours and never tipped it or anything. His mom sure was happy that there was no blood or tears or anything, just smiles!

He hasn't mastered shifting gears yet but we will leave that for another session.

The best thing for a kid is to have a good spill that scares them, but doesn't hurt them. My oldest son learned really fast and also got brave really fast. He washed the front end out in some grass while trying to pass my buddies 4-wheeler and he went down hard and slid on his belly, pulling his pants off. He got up with a few scratches, but he thought he was going to be dead. He now has a better respect for what can happen if you aren't careful.

Make sure the kid wears a helmet, long pants, and boots at the least.