Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Birdsong

No Goose is an Island...

13 posts in this topic

or a crocodile. Please tell me there is some reason for this behavior other than being in the process of dying, so I can sleep tonight.

3497607757_3fca88b5bc_o.jpg

She should have spooked--didn't crop to speak of, so I was pretty close.

3498423556_35fea6263f_o.jpg

Could be it was trying to be less conspicuous, Sarah. Were you pointing a Canon at it? wink

Well maybe just a little one.

This goose is most likely just trying to be incospicuous. I've seen geese do this before a couple of times. They can submerge even further so that just their head is sticking out of the water while they swim around. I bet you were close to a nest smile

Great behavior captured.

Interesting. I've never seen a goose show this behavior. I really like the first one, with his perfect reflection.

I have seen geese do this while trying to get away after being shot. They can totally submerge for about 20 seconds or so if they want. I think this is a typical response to avoid a predator without taking flight. Probably a nest nearby.

I've watched both ducks and geese do this to avoid detection. Agree that there's probably a nest nearby.

makes sense that she would behave this way if a nest was closeby,, I've never seen this,, wow, great shots!!!

Definetly protecting a nest.

Thank you everyone--slept like a baby. No daring rescues needed either. When you need to know, ask a photographer. Hunters only observe in the fall.

When you need to know, ask a photographer. Hunters only observe in the fall.

Thanks for the compliment, but be careful there. I know hunters who are more knowledgeable about nature than some of the nature photographers I know. Lots of hunters hunt 365 days a year, using all their senses but no gun when the season is closed. smilesmile

Thank you everyone--slept like a baby. No daring rescues needed either. When you need to know, ask a photographer. Hunters only observe in the fall.

Many of these photographers are hunters who observe wildlife year round. I'd also bet that hunters know more about wildlife behavior than most photographers:)

Good point! I will amend that. Ask a lover of wildlife. Sorry hunters!!!