Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
schmoe147

Chainsaw Oil ?

12 posts in this topic

I just bought a new stihl ms270 chainsaw and I'm wondering what seems to be best oil to run in them. Also what is the best kind of bar and chain oil out there.

If you're referring to mix oil, run the stihl brand.

Bar/chain oil you can use the stihl brand as well. There are summer and winter weight oils so use what's appropriate for the time of year.

I have used the Quaker state bar oil and seen to be ok.

I don't know if this is right or wrong, but ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper I've used 10w-30 for my bar oil and have never had a problem. That's all dad ever used and I guess the tradition just carried on.

You'll love that saw - I've had mine for 3 years now and it's been flawless.

I run the Stihl oil in my mix. I also use the Stihl bar oil whenever possible. I was in a pinch last time and ended up buying a store brand and it's been fine. I'll go back to the Stihl though.

phenomenal saw - use the stihl brand bar chain oil, the orange case for the summer, the blue one when temps drop below freezing

as for gas - make sure you're running 92 octane, and mixing it properly. eventually those stihls will become finicky and quirky if you put a lot of 87 octane gas thru em.

i use stihl brand oil for the engine and 10w/30 for bar and chain oil.

I also run premium fuel and Stihl mix oil in my MS280. Only significant difference in bar oil actually designed for chainsaws is that it clings to the bar/chain better than motor oil.

I run six saws, all but one is a Stihl. Oil mix is Stihl brand only. I like the Stihl bar oil but they only sell in one gallon jugs and I go through a lot so I get the store brand at Fleet in 2&1/2 or 5 gallon pails. If you use regular motor oil for bar oil, you can improve its performance by adding a can of STP to a couple of gallons of oil. It gives it the clingy quality of bar oil.

I was told bar oils have teflon parts in it to make it slicker, along with another additive for thesaw dust.

I just use the used motor oil from my oil changes for the bar oil and have never had a problem. Most all mixing oil is the same, just check the jug of Stihl mixing oil for the specs and compare to other cheaper brands.

I have an old Stihl 025 (15 years old) I've always used the Stihl products.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0