• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP PLASE! thread repair

Dhow

I have a 77' evinrude 15hp. I ended up stripping the hole in the head where the spark plug screws in. I was too exited to get er runnin. I did some research and have so far found the helicoil inserts to be the best bet on fixing this beast. Any other suggestions? Any good shops around NE metro?

helicoils workd great...but keyword but they can back out once you put in your new spark plug in. you can do one of 2 things to fix your problem. (trust me I did the same thing last year)

1. get a new head (a used head from a bone yard)

2. helicoil the stripped thread.

pros of option 1.

you don't have to worry about helicoils backing out

cons of option 1.

might cost more money to repair.

pro of option 2.

less money to repair

con of option 2.

heilcoil backing out

if you go with option 2 as i did. you NEED to find someone who knows how to put in the heilcoil. I had friend do my head and has been doing it for 40+ years. either way you have to take the head off and replace the head gasket. I live in annandale and so does my friend who put the heilcoil in if you want his number e-mail me at kc0myy@hotmail. the good thing about heilcoils are if you have someone who knows how to put in the heilcoil you will never strip out the threads on the head again because the heilcoils are made out of very hard metel. again any qestions e-mail me