• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Liquid or granular weed-n-feed?

Stickjiggler

What works better. I've never used a liquid before but am considering giving it a try this year. Any tips or recomendations of what to use. 15,000 sq.ft. grass in good shape with minimal weeds but a lot of quack.

Most likely, neither product you're going to buy is not going to be labeled for control of Quackgrass.

So far the only one that I know of is a Monsanto product called Certainty. However, unless you have a very calibrated sprayer, you're probably going to have a yard that looks like you sprayed roundup on it. These are just the reports that I've seen on different lawn application websites.

As for the liquid vs granular application, I personally believe the liquid will be the way to go.

With a granular application, you need to do it either early morning when the dew is still on the ground, or right after a rain shower. If you have an irrigation system, then run the system and then do an application as well.

Granular works by having the granuals stick to the leaves of the plant.

With a liquid application, you don't have to worry about the leaf being wet, since you're applying the water.

With either, you want to do the application when it will be dry for 24 hours AFTER the application, which means if you do have an irrigation system that runs every day, make sure it's shut off for a day, or two.

As far as weed control there is no comparison between liquid and granular. Soaking a weed with a liquid chemical will obviously be far more effective than a few granuals sticking to the plant. Both fertilizers can be very effective with a liquid working much faster but not lasting as long as a slow release granular. The perfect program for me is a liquid in the spring with weed control and pre-emergent to "jolt" the lawn and get it growing and green while killing all the weeds. Summer I do a granular fert. because of the heat. Early fall another shot of liquid fert. and weed control. Late fall granular fertilizer. This program will keep your lawn green and virtually weed free all year maybe having to spot treat a few weeds in between. As for the quack grass as stated above you probably won't get rid of it unless you spray it with round-up and then seed or just get it to blend in as best you can and deal with it, thats what I do..

I gave up on trying to treat the quack grass & ended up just kicking it out. I was tired of dealing with it. That stuff is nasty.

I use granular 3x per year. 1 - pre-emergent after first mowing. 2 - weed & feed 30 days after first application. 3 - winterizer in Sept / Oct. In between, when weeds are active, I spray weed b gone. Some years I do this 2x. It's the mix as you go type in the bottle you hook up to the hose.

I am by no means an expert, but I do have a nice lawn by following this.

Good luck.

I wish I could help you there but since I get all my stuff from our company I'm not very familier with non-commercial products.......You may want to consider having a smaller local company treat your lawn for you. It may not be that much more expensive than doing it yourself and from what I have seen over the years it is much more effective. Also less for you to worry about. If you ever do go that route just make sure they gaurantee their service.......Sorry if the sales man is comming out of me there!! smile