• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many fair weather fisherman ??

fishon68

ive got a small 14ft aluminium boat with a 7.5hp motor. so that limits me a bit with the wind, even tho i have been out on the south side of ML with a heavy wind coming out of the north and we pounded waves for a while but it just got to be too much.

I dont mind fishing in the rain or when its cold...i like to think im a fair weather fisherman by force not choice

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I HATE the wind with a passion but it would never make me stay home. The day I dont go is the day that I would have caught the biggest fish of my life and thats not something i can live with. I have had some awesome days in 30 mph steady winds walleye fishing. Now thats a walleye chop!

When I'm on a fishing trip the only think I shut down for is lightning, but I may not fish as long if I'm getting beat up by the wind and rain and the fish aren't biting. When I'm at the lake for weekends with the family I'm a little more picky with the weather.

Last year on our annual trip to the Alexandria area the wind was sustained at 26 MPH out of the ENE with gusts up to 37 MPH and 1" of rain. Was out on the west side of the lake during the rain, no thunder or lightning. Caught 44 walleye in about 3 hours, kept 3 for a nice meal by the fireplace in the cabin for my wife and I. Some of the best fishing I have experienced. Needless to say I was the only one on the lake. That is how I earned the name of "Hardcore Fisherman" at the resort. I have a low profile 16' 6" Lund boat with a 60 horse motor. Took a slow drive back to the resort. Getting on the lift was rather entertaining.

The best fishing i have EVER had was during an absolute downpour on opener weekend. Every single boat got off the lake, and we raked in the walleyes! Limited out for 6 guys in 30 minutes!

For me 20mph is doable. There is a big change in the water conditions somewhere between 20-25mph. Once it hits 25mph I start looking to lakes with landings on the up wind side of the lake.

Originally Posted By: dtro
Very RARELY will weather force me to stay home. Some of my best outing have been with inclement weather approaching. I've learned to read the radar pretty well and know when to when.

bah.. the radar don't mean nothing.. especially down here in the mississippi valley/bluff country.. because the bluffs and river throws off the pressure storms bring.. i could look at the radar.. see us completely surrounded by green and there won't be a drop of rain for miles

I have trust in the Radar 100% and when there are systems around me while fishing, I’m checking it constantly on my phone to make preemptive moves if need be. It hasn't let me down once in past 4 years I've had it on my phone.

I have a blackberry pearl and I just hop on the internet and go to weather.com or accuweather and pull up the radar and just update it about every ten minutes if it looks like a storm...

If the sky is blue and not a cloud to be seen, I have a hard time getting motivated when it comes to fishing. On the other hand, if there is rain coming in from the west don’t get in my way, I’m going fishing!

If I'm not driving the boat then I'm more than willing to hit the lake in most any kind of weather(No lightning). If I'm driving I'm more apt to call it if it gets to windy. OR if I'm out baking in the sun to long. Last year a buddy and I hit a lake with winds out of the north west at about 25-30 MPH gusts. I was driving the boat and had my hands full with that. My buddy fished the whole time and he did pretty good. I am becomeing a firm beleaver in the windy side of the lake is the spot to be after reading some of the post on here.