• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many fair weather fisherman ??

fishon68

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've pretty much fished in everything. Lightning will get me off the water but I go right back once the storm moves on.

From presonal experience I can tell you that a 14 foot aluminum with a 10 hp motor is not much fun when the wind starts blowing at 60-70 mph during a severe thundertorm. We survived but it was the only time in my life that i was actually scared for my life. During that roller coaster ride I didn't even notice that we were getting pelted by nickle sized hail. We called it quits for the day after that.

i'll go out in anything but lightning, i'll wait it out on shore then head out once it passes.

fished in a downpour in a little 14' fiberglass boat. Had 10" of water in the back of the boat when we trailered it!

Very RARELY will weather force me to stay home. Some of my best outing have been with inclement weather approaching. I've learned to read the radar pretty well and know when to when.

bah.. the radar don't mean nothing.. especially down here in the mississippi valley/bluff country.. because the bluffs and river throws off the pressure storms bring.. i could look at the radar.. see us completely surrounded by green and there won't be a drop of rain for miles

I have fished in just about any type of wind, rain, snow, gale, etc., but one thing I won't do anymore is fish when it is raining and cold 45 degrees and under. This type of weather takes any enjoyment of the sport right out of it for me.

I can handle rain/cold, but my boat is a bit too small when it blows. Last year in the park rapids area, we were planning on fishing potato. The wind was 20 mph plus, so we just decided to go check the landing out to see how it was going out there. As we pulled up there was a father son duo going out in a 14ft aluminum with a transom mount electric motor. We made it out that day, but just hugged the shore line. You would never find me in that boat, let alone my son (if I had one)

I have picked up a possibly bad habit of letting the weather/wind pick my lake for me. I always think "North wind, can't get on this lake, but I can go on this one" or vice versa.

But if you are on a big trip, you pretty much fish in anything. Two years ago we went to Ontario in mid-September and had to scoop snow out of the boat a couple times while we fished. That was truly annoying.

DD

I have to chime in on this one!

I have a 27ft boat and if the wind is 20+ I'll stay home...

It's just not any fun.

So yes I'll take the label of A Fair Weather Fisherman!

You just have know when to say when.

well I have been on the ice when we had to tie our shacks to the trucks to keep them from blowing away.

One trip on superior we had 7-8 foot waves, guess that makes me fair and bad weather. or maybe just crazy. grin

I have fished in just about any type of wind, rain, snow, gale, etc., but one thing I won't do anymore is fish when it is raining and cold 45 degrees and under. This type of weather takes any enjoyment of the sport right out of it for me.

My sentiments exactly. I hate it when your fingers are to numb to get a pinch of snuff

For me, I’ll go out in just about anything depending on my mood. Except when it’s lightning though. I’ve had a couple close calls with lightning in my life and don’t even like to be outside in the yard as soon as I see it.

I'm a darn near any weather fisherman, I've been out in strong winds, stinging rain, and that was before I was smart enough to buy some decent rain gear. If I want to go fishing I don't let much stop me besides the old lady wink , and lightning.

We trap leeches out of a 10' john boat. It gets pretty hairy out there sometimes - but if we don't check the traps and rebait them, we don't have leeches for you! After my experience in a little boat - anything in a larger boat doesn't seem all that bad!

I've become a fair-weather fisherman without a doubt. I have fished in cold, snow, wind, rain, storms, lightening, hail, etc. but have decided that it is just not worth it. My Lund catches the wind like crazy so anything over 20mph is pretty much a signal to find calmer water or get off the lake if I can't. If I find that I am spending more energy controlling the boat than fishing - I am outta there. And, since I fish only for bass - if there is too much of a bow in my line I am outta there as well. Anything below 30 degrees and I am staying home too.

Tournaments are a different story of course but as for recreational fishing - fair weather all the way.

I have fished in cold, snow, wind, rain, storms, lightening, hail, etc. but have decided that it is just not worth it. Wind anything over 20mph is pretty much a signal to find calmer water or get off the lake. If the the skies dark and rumbleing, Sorry my boat won't be a float, I'm not an electrician. smile

Last year on our annual trip to the Alexandria area the wind was sustained at 26 MPH out of the ENE with gusts up to 37 MPH and 1" of rain. Was out on the west side of the lake during the rain, no thunder or lightning. Caught 44 walleye in about 3 hours, kept 3 for a nice meal by the fireplace in the cabin for my wife and I. Some of the best fishing I have experienced. Needless to say I was the only one on the lake. That is how I earned the name of "Hardcore Fisherman" at the resort. I have a low profile 16' 6" Lund boat with a 60 horse motor. Took a slow drive back to the resort. Getting on the lift was rather entertaining.

Azrael, are you going up to be up this weekend?

LakeDocktor, I’ll be up there early Friday afternoon. I hope my Dad’s pontoon will be ready. He brought it in last weekend for some repairs. If it’s not, I’ll be fishing Ten Mile all weekend. We have a family cabin out there with a 14’ foot boat that I use.

Hope to see ya and maybe we could get together drown some bait.

We normally fish nearly every weekend open water, rivers, or ice. We reserve November for deer hunting in Minn. and Wyoming. Santa won't let me go on Christmas frown

I have always found the right gear is worth buying. Wind, rain, or snow doesn't bother us, but we also draw the line at lightning.

We it's cold heat is good either in the boat, portable, or wheel house. My biggest muskie 54 1/2 inches was caught and released on Halloween day on Leech Lake. My walleye was on the 17th of July 2 years ago on a fly in trip to Ontario of 33 1/2 inches released. Love to eat fish occasionally, but release most of them to play another day.