• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planting Basil

Iv'e grown Basil in my garden for years. Seeds are tiny so I put a pencil in the ground and put 6 seeds around it. Thin out leaving the strongest two plants. Beware the 1st cold night in the fall it will turn black and be worthless. I pull the plants up root and all and hang them in the basement to use all winter. Good Luck DrJ.

I've done basil in pots with a lot of success over the years. Its about as simple as it gets. Just follow the instructions on the seed packet and then thin out the plants after germination. I've done as many as 6-8 plants in a planter before and it worked well. I usually leave several inches between plants.

They seem to like it hot and sunny so put it somewhere that it will get lots of sun and warmth.

Drying the basil in the fall is a good option, you can also pull the leaves and freeze them. Either way works well.

I have left my basil plants in the pots past the first frost and it seems like the birds really like them so if you want to attract birds maybe consider leaving it.

I have planted basil for several years. We use it to make Pesto. I've had the best luck starting the seeds inside in small pots, then transplanting them into the garden after they are a few inches tall. I space the plants about 1 foot apart, as they get pretty big and bushy by late summer.