• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dazed and confused questions

skies

The brain isn't working today and need some help with some questions that I have about my trolling motors. This might get a little bit long, but I would appreciate the help. I have read the other post's about 24V hookups. But still very confused. I was in the boat today hooking up my new sonar and noticed a sticker on the bottom of my bow mount trolling motor saying that it is 12V and on top of the head it says 24V. After looking at the way the plug is wired, and the batteries I don't know what to think. The plug has four wires going to it. +/- from each battery. There is only 2 wires going to the trolling motor from the plug in. (there is a thrid wire on the trolling motor plug not being used)There are no jumper wires back at the battery. Last season when I used it it seemed like it was runnning fine. Here is the curveball. My transom mount motor says it is 24V in both spots. But is hooked up exactly like the bow mount. My thinking is that I have been running this only on 12V and the 24V rating on the bow mount is wrong.

If some of the experts on here have some knowledge about this. and can get me to think this through would be awesome. If anybody actually took the time to read all this and make any sense of it I give you a lot of credit. It is driving me crazy.

They both are motorguides. The bow mount is a FW71FB Model # 9BV62lAAF, 71 lbs thrust and has five speeds. I think this is a 2005. From looking on the web it says 2003, not sure about that.

The transom is a FW82 HT Digtal with varible speed. 82 lbs thrust. Not sure on year, also found from the same web site that it says 2003. Not sure on either one though both were on the boat when I bought it. The plugs in the boat are rated for 12/24V.