Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayinMN

Help with sparrow I.D

7 posts in this topic

I have no idea what this guy is that was at my feeder today. Anyone want to help me out?

3492948828_d8a8beeda6_o.jpg

3492955294_d6443c7e9a_o.jpg

My guess is a song sparrow with some really prominent markings on the throat. He looks like his breast spot split and migrated north. Hmmmm.

I agree.....looks like a song sparrow....but then again it rather looks like a "vespers"....there's 40 others in on my Sibleys that kinda look like this one grin....nice images Jay.

I'm far from being an expert, but going through my books, I can find a Lincoln's Sparrow that resembles your image. Maybe this is a good subject to let Cornell take a stab at.

At any rate it looks well fed and content!

Mike

I recently got pics and posted pics of this gorgeous little guy,, he was in grass,, do they nest in the ground? my thoughts are that they do,, I am not sure what he's called either,,

you got some good shots of him!!!

It is indeed a song sparrow, actually the first I have ever seen or at least noticed. I went through the pictures I took again and found one with the spot visible. The way the bird was hunkered down in the grass you couldn't see it.

3492451895_b4abb3fd29_o.jpg

Jay:

Everyone is right and it is indeed a Song Sparrow. A Lincoln's Sparrow would have a buff wash on the upper breast with thin streaks on upper breast and sides. Also Lincoln's have a buff/white eye ring.

Mike