• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rum river state forest coyote hunting

azsearch

Doubt it, if they're seeing coyotes. First thing wolves do in a new area is run off or kill the coyotes. Same thing the yotes do to the fox population. If the yotes seem to have disappeared then yeah, you probably do.

Timberwolves in the rum most definitely. I hear them 3 miles south of the rum, I consider that whole area somewhat the rum, I know technically it's the rum, mille lacs wma and the I think it's like the Kanabec state forest or something I forget, I don't head in there much but it's about from Mille Lacs lake south to almost Milaca/Ogilive. Well leaddog I'm sure they run them off somewhat but I've seen fox, coyotes, and wolves all in a weeks time on my farm near the Rum. We are talking a huge area here.

It goes in cycles, see coyotes for a while then a wolf then a fox etc. There's a lot of migrating back and forth through that area. I think the coyotes hang around because now during calving season they are really around. I might add looking very scruffy right now, saw a fox 2 days ago and it's coat was a mess.

I should add this is no new area, when I moved in 1996 there were a few wolves around then. I've seen the tracks more often than actually seeing the wolf or wolves.

Wow, never thought they would be that far south. I own land in Northern MN and at times it seems we have more wolves then deer:)

Are you sure bigfoot is not wandering around there too smile could not resist.

I hear ya DuckDog, it is a massive area and when you hear about wolves struck and killed in the cities or seen they had to have run in from somewhere, I wouldn't doubt down HWY 169 or HWY 47 north of Anoka,or even 35E, not literally. Most of the time though I don't hear about a wolf pack in the area, it's more than likely a male trying to find his own range or area after the alpha male sent him packin. I know little about wolves but they come and go, they're around for awhile then gone then back then gone again. The way we hunt coyotes is we see 1, go get our rifles and try to make a shot on em. Coon hounds in the snow. Some try some calling. The coyotes really show up during the calving season. I know where I grew up the coyotes really liked the turkey farms in the area.

It's a combination of a lot of factors I think. Liberal tags. Wolves. Finally getting deer numbers back to the per acre hope. Hunting pressure for sure, think back before gps, I wouldn't have walked several miles into an unknown area to get lost in, now turn your gps on, mark your vehicle, make sure you have enough battery life with backups and you can go anywhere anytime you wish and get deep into the jungle without a worry in the world except dragging them out. I wouldn't single out the wolf because 5 years ago deer were thick around there and the same amount of wolves roughly to. We drill lots of mature does in a few years time means they won't have their usual twins the next spring, stuff like that I think. We got spoiled for a bit with warm rifle seasons to hunt in and put in a lot of time and maybe we had peaked out on herd numbers, now we are falling some but realistically maybe it's about right on.

It really is amazing how far animals will travel. For example:

1. There was a confirmed bear siting just west of Rice Mn just 2 weeks ago.

2. There is an Elk population that lives in western ND that every 7-10 years or so crosses the MN state line and hangs out in western MN for a few months before moving back.

3. My family has pictures of an adult female moose walking in the pasture across the road from the house. This is in Little Falls MN.

4. Just look at all of the postings, and chatter even on the "street" about all of the cougar sighting with in the past few years in MN.

Food for though...I think its interesting stuff.