• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Combo for big blades/mag dawgs

Not too far into the muskie addiction yet but i am really excited for this coming muskie season. I have a shimano coralis reel and ugly stick rod.....heavy and the real is not sufficient for big blades. i need to get something that will handle big blades/plastics. bare in mind that i'm not a lifer yet and will only be out maybe once a week but will be tossing for a few hours at a time and i'm not going to spend 400.00 on a calcutta/legend.....

you're in fridley? Go talk to the guys at thorne bros. Just make sure you have a firm upper limit to your budget or you WILL walk out with a lot of stuff and way less in your wallet smile

I'm in the same boat as you and I bought a Abu 7000i HSN and a extra heavy shimano compre last year. Cost me less than 300 bucks total and it handled dawgs and cowgirls just fine

Musky Innovations 8.5 foot rod with an Abu Garcia 7000 on it would cost less than $300 total. If you are only throwing those baits once in a while then you don't need a set up just for them. I used to use 7 foot G Loomis rods with an Abu Garcia 6500C3 back when bulldawgs first came out. It isn't ideal but would work if you are only throwing those baits for shorter periods of time.

Yeah, Thorne Bros kinda does that. The bulldawg rods are in my sights for sure. it's more the reel that i'm really taking my time on deciding how much to spend and how long it will last with my applications. i'd like to know a little more about the okuma line. they seem to be a little cheaper and respectable at the same time.

CONGRATS GOBLUEM ON THE 1000TH POST LOL. THAT'S PROBBALY WHAT I WANT TOO. NEED AT LEAST XH WOULD LIKE 8' ROD WITH A GOOD CRANKING REEL THAT HAS A DESCENT GEAR RATIO. I HAVE THAT OTHER COMBO THAT I MIGHT SWITCH THE ROD FOR A CONVERGENCE FOR LIGHTER STUFF.

As far as the rod goes....a xh 8' rod can't throw a 2-3 oz bucktail?

The difference in the reel i can understand....

but this is for the more amatuer musky angler trying to limit the amount of rods and reels i "need".

I'm curious why people think that a 2-3oz bucktail and a 8oz plastic should be thrown with the same rod/reel combo....I have very different setup's for the two baits.

because it probably works for the person who is using one rod/reel combo for whatever he wants to throw. IF it's M power rod well then that person is quite crazy and can buy a new rod or two when it breaks or it won't...

It's tough because i know that some day i will have a very situation specific setup of rods/reels, but i can't dump 2000.00 on a line up of rods to cover everything. they're coming in one at a time and it's tough to pick what kind of rod/reel to go with considering it wont be sufficient for all types of fishing. what would you guys suggest.

You've got a decent reel, a 7000 would probably suit both baits better than the corvalus, although the corvalus is a dominating dawg reel and can throw blades if you don't need to burn.

A good rod for both baits would be a 8' Gander Mountain Pro select or Pro Tourney, something like that - the black one for $110, I love that rod, also a Compre would probably suit your needs and budget. There are usually a few good used rods floating around on the message boards too if you take a look, I've got some great deals on used stuff.

Nothing beats an 8'6 St.Croix Slingblade for Mag-dawgs and Blades - Nothing. Second would probably be a 8'6" St.Croix XHF Legend Tournament.

Third - 8'0 St. Croix Premier HF.

All three of these rods are phenomenal rods for blades and mag rubber. XHF can handle pounders as well.

As for reels for both presentations, Shimano 700B, Daiwa Saltist 30HA.

Abu's are nice reels for the short time they work. Some people love 'em and have good luck - I am on the water for an average of 12 hours a day every day during the season - Last year I burned up 11 7000's. Of course i still use them, but I'm losing my patience.

yeah that corvalus does actually have some towing power but burning cowgirls would melt that thing and my right arm in a couple of hours.

12 hours a day every day??? are you a guide?

Yes.

I'm curious why people think that a 2-3oz bucktail and a 8oz plastic should be thrown with the same rod/reel combo....I have very different setup's for the two baits.

Mostly because of budget. Many people can't afford getting lots of setups, and when you are first getting into it - particularly as young people, like John and I, you can't go too nuts. I have a very basic setup with a larger rod and reel for big baits and for those with lots of resistance, and then a smaller setup for small baits and topwater

Okuma Induron for around $120 will do what you want. Rods on the other hand theres a ton of choices. I'm sure my new 9' Predator will throw mag dawgs but I won't be trying them soon,but my 8' Thorne Bros C Series will thow everything I have except big rubber like 11" Curlie Sues and up. For around $200 you won't be dissapointed. All my rods will throw cowgirls, but not all will thow them effectively. On the other hand only a few of my rods will throw mag dawgs and big glide/jerk baits.

If I was just starting out again looking back my first combo would be an 8' C Series with the Okuma reel for about $350