Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
MurkyWaters

Pitching for Distance

One of my goals for the upcoming season is to be able to pitch jigs. I just started practicing a bit and I feel like I am comfortable with it, but I am questioning if I am getting enough distance on my pitches. I have developed some consistency in pitches from 20 - 22 feet. However, this seems to be my max range (with consistency and no backlashes)...In practice, what is the distance of a typical pitch? What range should I strive for? Any other advice that could increase my distance? Below is the equipment that I have been using...

6'6" MH Rod, Low profile baitcasting reel (with braking system on low or off), 25 pound braid, 3/8 oz jig...Would a 7 foot rod work better?

I dont mean to steal the thread but I am wondering how you guys are able to pitch so well with a baitcast setup? I have a 7' MH Shimano Crucial with a Curado 100 DHVS (the larger capacity spool) and its almost impossible to pitch anything under 3/4 ounce. If I have less braking it nests and if I have more braking it doesnt go anywhere! I am wondering if it isnt due to the higher capactiy spool!

I can get my pitches to go a good 15-20 yards but I don't try to do it very often especially if I’m in shallow water because the pitches tend to go higher and make a bigger splash. I think it’s more important to get your pitches low and close to the water as possible with a very soft entry so I don't pitch further than 10 yards very often. I like a 6'6" rod but I also use a 7" rod. If it's over 10-15 yards I use a little mini roll cast the bait will never get over waist high and will make a little splash on entry. I'm no expert when it comes to pitching I can hit my targets but for me it controlling the trajectory thats what I’ve been trying to work on. I still trying to get better when you watch the pro's on tv they can do some impressive stuff like getting a jig to go 5ft under a dock that sits 1ft above the water. laugh

Mo, set you set your breaks at 2 of them on, loosen the spool tension so your bait falls at somewhat a fast rate when you take your thumb off the spool. Just make sure you thumb it just before it hits the water. What kind of line do you have on, I find anything under 12lbs mono dia backlashes more. Also I find its a little hard to pitch real light jigs under 1/2oz.

I try and keep my pitches under 15 yards... Any longer and I will switch to a roll cast. The flip just isnt as efficient.

Murkey waters- a 7' would be better, a 7'6" would be even better yet.

gunning give some good advice as to how to set the reel. I set my pitching reel very light as far as breaks.. My best advice I can give. When I see new pitchers, the biggest mistake they often make is they throw the bait with their off hand. Thinking that this will give them more distance. When it dose the exact opp. I will even load the rod tip some on my pitches if I need extra distance.

Mo, set you set your breaks at 2 of them on, loosen the spool tension so your bait falls at somewhat a fast rate when you take your thumb off the spool. Just make sure you thumb it just before it hits the water. What kind of line do you have on, I find anything under 12lbs mono dia backlashes more. Also I find its a little hard to pitch real light jigs under 1/2oz.

I appreciate the response gunning. I will try setting the breaks to 2. I usually have the bait fall at a fast rate per the spool tension. I do usually thumb it when it hits the water but really my problem is when It is pitched initially. I believe it takes more weight on the end of the line to overcome the inertia of the larger spool during the release of the pitch. The nests always occur right as the spool initially starts to spin so it nests pre flight. I ran 12lb mono and copoly last year for pitching attempts. I am transitioning to 35 pound cortland braid on another pole for other situations, but would that work for this?

Deitz, can you elaborate on "off hand." I am a right handed person. I use baitcasters with the reels on the right side. I have been practicing pitching with the rod in my left hand. I tried this just because it eliminates the need to switch the rod from hand to hand after casting. Thanks.

Deitz, can you elaborate on "off hand." I am a right handed person. I use baitcasters with the reels on the right side. I have been practicing pitching with the rod in my left hand. I tried this just because it eliminates the need to switch the rod from hand to hand after casting. Thanks.

Your "off hand" would be the one without the rod in it. When you pitch, you start with the rod in one hand and the jig(or whatever) in your other/off hand. I hope this makes it more clear.

sounds like you have a good start on it.. I can pitch with either hand, and depending on what and the distance I will pitch with whatever is more comfortable. Or if I am on the front deck pitching along side someone I will use the hand away from the other angler. The key is being ready to set the hook right away when the lure hits.

Mo, I think it could be your line, if you used 14-17lb mono you might have better luck with backlashes. The heavier the line the less backlashes IMO. I use 17lb Gamma mono and 30lb Sufix braid it has 12lb mono dia "but" I don't think it comes off the spool as fast as 12lb mono. I have had no problems with Sufix backlashing its real soft and casts great. Try 17lb mono for awhile until you get the hang of it and then drop down in line dia when you get more comfortable.

heavier spools will tend to backlash more with the added weight i know i cant flip with my cattin reel. I thought that was also one of the reasons companies started hollowing out thier spools.