• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chains for ATV

smackthewalleyes

Hello,

I am going to buy some chains for my atv so I don't have to worry about most of the slush issues ice fishing next winter. Does anybody have any recommendations on what brand of chains to buy. Also, I was planning on only putting chains on two tires in the back. I did see a few wheelers with chains on all 4 tire last year. Is that necessary if I have 4 wheel drive? When a person buys chains, do they come in 2 tire sets, or do you buy one set of chains for each tire? Thanks for the info. Also, what should I expect to spend on chains?

I got chains for mine this year, just did the Cabelas brand, one set(2 chains)and spent $50. You do not need them for the front only the back and with chains on a wheeler it goes through just as much as a 4 wheeler without. With all the slush and ice they were awesome this year and are a great option. A track set-up would fun but they are spendy so chains are a great option.

Normally chains aren't necessary for the front. Most dealers don't recommend putting them on the front in fear of tearing your front diff. out.

But, many people still add the chains to the front to not only help with the traction, but to help with steering. If you choose to go this route, make sure you get "V-Bar" chains that are sized for each tire size (front/back). You should be safe to put them on the front as long as you're not rodding on the machine trying to get across the lake and stressing the front diff.

IMO, there won't be much difference between running chains on all 4 tires on the ice and using 4-wheel drive in dirt. As long as you're not spinning and suddenly bite in and get traction to the point of snapping an axle or as mentioned earlier, tearing out the front diff.

i had a buddy help me plow out our driveway up north this past winter and his 500 with a plow on it had all 4 tires chianed up and it went thru 2 ft of snow with the plow down and with my behind on it also. i dont believe it would of did that without all 4 chianed up. it was pretty amazing cause i woulda bet it wasnt going to do it. that driveway is all of 6 blocks long.