• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Straight River

thrownflies

Going to spend a couple days on the Straight near Park Rapids in a couple of weeks. Anyone have suggestions for a camp site also access points, flies and such? Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can send an email if you'd prefer. thrownflies at hotmail. I'd be happy to trade any lake fishing info for the PR area. Thanks.

Chad

Did you call PR bait shop? They may have some idea.

614 Main Ave S, Park Rapids, MN - (218) 732-5113

I didn't know they had streams up there. Now when I visit my brother I can steal away. Let me know how it goes.

the straight is an interesting fish, it is a very boggy/silty bottomed river. how ever if you are willing to do some searching there are fish the whole length of the river as well as the river it dumps into. the best bite takes place in mid to late june when the Hexes hatch at around dusk. As far as access most of the bridges are a good place to start, I like mile 2,3, 6 down to its mouth. lots of creek cubs in the river that can cause frustration but if you fish drys you will do fine.

Don't forget the area south and east of PR (By RDO) over the years I have released several 22-24 inch browns. I like to use a #2-3 Mepps, sliver, no hair (make sure to bend the barbs down). This area of the river is hard/rock/gravel bottom with rapid water. I like the area by Osage but the BIGGEST fish I have caught have been near RDO (Hwy 71).