• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye Techniques

RoosterR

Just wondering what peoples techniques and bait choices(lindy rig,slip bobber,etc.)for walleye opener and spring. Also wondering what to look for when heading out on the lake (structure, shallow, flats).Kinda new to this.

Thanks for the input.

We fish areas with gravel bottoms during the spring were the fish will be spawn and post spawn. I usually slow troll with spinners, a plain hook, or a jig. Also vertical jigging. Vary your depth until you find the fish. They might be in 5' and they might be in 45'. I always use rainbows but others use shiners, fatheads, and sucker minnows with success.

Steve

start out shallow 10' or so with a jig/minnow combow around a large sand/rubble point. May switch to a lindy and fish it with a little more line out (get it away from the boat). May then cast some cranks to see if I can locate some on other structure. If I find some, possibly switch to a slip bobber. All else fails...try to find some crappies up in the shallows.

In other words...I'm not quite sure but it sounds good.

Depending on where you are planning on fishing a variety of techniques will work. I like to work cranks shallow along emerging weedlines, toss jigs and drag them or if all else fails pull live bait rigs with minnows. Depending on where you go and water temps a slow presentation either livebait or cranks can produce. Work the areas you have caught fish in the past and use the techniques that have worked for you if you aren't catching fish they are either not there or they are being presented with the wrong bait. It is tough to give up on tried and true spots but ultimately we have to let the fish tell us where to fish if we want to have success.

Tunrevir~

Jig and shiner minnow and jig and plastic. Probably more plastic than live minnows. Shallow, probably 4-5 feet (the shoreline break), possibly 6-8 feet (off the break a ways, or toward the second break), and probably 2-3 feet on top of the shoreline break. If we are having trouble finding concentrations of fish we'll troll cranks to locate them.

We'll anchor the skeeter saturday after dark and use floating stick rapalas. Cast them into about 2' of water along a rocky shoreline where a small creek enters the lake. No lights and stay quiet...can't wait!

Alot depends on where you are going. I'm heading to Mille lacs. Will be out there at Midnight starting out with lighted bobbers. Will probably troll raps & shad raps.

Then change over to 7-9 ft snells and leeches. start out with a red hook, and single chart bead.

We'll anchor the skeeter saturday after dark and use floating stick rapalas. Cast them into about 2' of water along a rocky shoreline where a small creek enters the lake. No lights and stay quiet...can't wait!

Hopefully you have your stern light on while anchored after dark, if you don't it's not legal (and not safe). Good luck out there.

Originally Posted By: DARK30

Hopefully you have your stern light on while anchored after dark, if you don't it's not legal (and not safe). Good luck out there.

We always bring a section of floating dock....tie off to the dock and then your legal to turn the light off.

I'll be on Upper Red, we look for fish along the 4'-6' break. when we find them, we anchor up and pitch the old jig/crappie minnow to them. When you're fishing that shallow, you will spook them if you aren't holding still. Drift over them & you will catch nothing. Anchor & pitch is key.

I'll post this again.

I normally start off with my version of a lindy rig - The Foam Walker (self standing slipsinker) with a 4' leader of flouro carbon to a red hook with a piece of Ice Buster bobber foam pushed onto the hook (about 1/4" piece) for my floater hook. The foam keeps the bait off the bottom and my leech will fight against the foam which will be right in the strike zone. I can use stop and go techniques because the Foam Walker never tips over and my bait is always off the bottom. After slow trolling around my hot spots we always anchor up off a point towards evening and use the Wave Buster Bobbers (in about 6" to 7' of water) with a glow jig and leech for the evening bite.

Can't wait!!

Bruce Mosher

Presentation is different for each spot, on each lake. I start casting jig/plastics, or floating cranks, shallow, wading. with the casting into shallows at night, more light the deeper I move. Anything that can get within 1-1 1/2ft from the bottom. COVER LOTS OF WATER>