• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transplanting a Tree

CrappieBart

Its a great time to transplant trees. Its best done before Memorial Day or after labor day is the general rule of thumb. Basically do it before the summer hot and dry weather sets in. Or wait until the cool moist fall weather moves in.

No matter what keep the tree moist before and after moving. Dig your new hole before digging the tree/shrub. Make sure the hole is somewhat moist/

A little trick I've used and has helped- water the tree/shrub extensively for a few days before moving. This allows for the plant to take up a great deal of moisture before moving.

Also be sure to use burlap aroudn the ball, even if just moving a short distance. It is cheap, keeps it cleaning, but most of all keeps the soil on the roots. I just did a bunch of pine and spruce and the burlap helps tons.

I agree watering before you move helps, even in keeping the soil together in the ball.

Is this a bad time to transplant a tree? The maple is about 5 ft tall and I want to move it. Thanks, Bart

Spring is a good time to move a tree for sure. Like said before you want to get it moved before it starts to show any signs of new growth. I move trees with a tree spade and I have found the trees I move in the spring are just as good as the ones I move in the fall. water is very improtant. I would recomend not using any kind of fertelizer during the first 2 years for your tree since you may cut some roots during the digging process and if you use fertelizer you might burn those cut roots a little. water water water and you should be good. After about June 10th, shut down tell September 1st. If you think you might get some wind on the tree it might not hurt to give it a three point staking system to hold it in place until it gets rooted in. Good luck

Hey Picklefarmer, for small evergreen/pine trees (Austrian Pine, to be exact) I didn't wrap it in burlap to keep the sun off of it, and much of it seemed like it "burned", but new growth is good. Should I wrap some of these to help keep sun from burning in winter, or do some species actaully turn brown/reddish normally? Thanks!

One I wrapped was a Yew tree and the wrap seemed to really help it this year over last when I did not. These are only like 2-3-4 foot trees.

You know its hard to say?? I have had guys that say they wrap there trees and they come through just fine. On the other hand they say that if they don't wrap there trees they get wind (freezer) burnt over winter.

I think it all comes down to what age the tree is as well as what ZONE the tree is native to as well as how much care you want to give it. I have seen alot of Spruce trees (as well as others) in my area that have alot of "Burn" on them. It might go away once they start to grow this season??? If you can wrap them over the winter its best I'm sure. The question to me is when is enough enough??? When a tree becomes of age and its reached the size that it will get, I would say leave it to nature and see how it does.What ever you do "DON'T CUT YOUR TREE DOWN" until you know for sure its dead. I have seen guys cut there trees down and write them off as a lose when the guy next door did nothing and ended up with a nice tree!!!!!! Hopefully this advise helps....