• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN River flatheads from shore

John Barnard

I suggest finding a nice day....pack lightly, throw some good shoes on and walk/ride bike on the shoreline. Scout out a couple of locations that look interesting to you. Park at a launch and work your way down/upstream from there. I know Black Dog has a trail that a lot of bikers use which runs next to the river. Shocktown also has some great shore spots within walking distance from the landing. I'm not too familiar with the 169 area so I can't comment on that but there's some great shorefishing to be had come summertime.

shakopee Yeah, that's what i was looking at. i'm assuming that grey square on mapquest is a parking lot?? that's probably where i'll go. peace and beer to ya mr special. come join me if anyone's available my girlfriend doesn't fish....especially flatheads.

I find that if you lack the time (or motivation?) to physically get out and so some scouting, you can try checking out Google Earth, we have found a few promising spots that would normally be overlooked that way ... If you are able to make it to the Chaska area, there are some good lookin spots in that area as well

I have spent a lot of time doing that. The problem when I see a promising spot, it's hard to tell if it is public property or if there is a trail, so then there is more Googling. Also, they are old photos and some only show really high water in the spring when they were taken. But even if the log jams change from year to year, you can still tell where they have a tendency to collect.

For as much shore fishing as I do, I should fix up a mountain bike and rig one of those old baby trailers up to carry my bait.

I'm glad you mentioned the dates in the photos, as I neglected to mention that in my post. Definitely need to pay attention to those photos, the dates, and whatnot, I suppose you could say that Google Earth is a good source to get you pointed in the right direction ... you can find a promising spot, and then go scout it out. MANY a cold winter (and spring) night was spent 'scouting' spots on google earth eh jeff? smile Best of luck to ya!

I find that if you lack the time (or motivation?) to physically get out and so some scouting, you can try checking out Google Earth, we have found a few promising spots that would normally be overlooked that way ... If you are able to make it to the Chaska area, there are some good lookin spots in that area as well

Now you just stop talking about my area's wontcha. LOL