• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

whats the best way to camo a boat?

hamms-scooter

I have a 1970 16ft starcraft that has the dull green color and i want to camo it out over the green. what is the best way to do this? do you use spray paint or brush it on? stencils or just hold up swamp grass then spray? just looking for a cheap wat to spruce up my dull color on my rig. thanks

I took one of my duck boats that had worn faded green paint and after touching up the worn spots I just sprayed lines on it with 3 different colors; chocolate brown, dead grass, and olive drab. It's not quite as appealing to the human eye as using a stencil kit but I doubt the ducks will care. The whole boat took under an hour.

Sorry for the blurry shot, from a cell phone camera.

duckboat.jpg

Prep, Prep, Prep!

Power wash with a pressure washer to get any old flakey paint off. Then get a sanding disk for a drill and rough up the existing paint so the new paint will adhere better and last a lot longer than an un-prepped surface.

Do the first coat olive drab, then use dead grass/tan color sprayed thru a stencil. But first experiment on a piece of carboard to see what the end result will be before painting!

Good Luck!

Prep, Prep, Prep!

Power wash with a pressure washer to get any old flakey paint off. Then get a sanding disk for a drill and rough up the existing paint so the new paint will adhere better and last a lot longer than an un-prepped surface.

Do the first coat olive drab, then use dead grass/tan color sprayed thru a stencil. But first experiment on a piece of carboard to see what the end result will be before painting!

Good Luck!

YOu need a good primer coat too when painting aluminum.

Actually I used regular cans of camo paint and a 1 inch brush and I think it looks more realistic. Look at the camo patterns of some of the clothing in the catalog and you'll see that it is much more layered looking and sharper lines than I think you can get from spray.

Originally Posted By: Finlander
Prep, Prep, Prep!

Good Luck!

YOu need a good primer coat too when painting aluminum.

you don't need a primer if it was already painted though... smile

i just got the brown and tan paint in the spray cans and also got some flat black and made lines that look like cattails. i like to add a few black lines now and then it gives the look of shadows and depth to help brake it up better. it looks really nice over the olive green

I'm looking at buying my neighbors 12ft alumacraft, it has a large blue stripe and the rest is aluminum. I also want to paint this for duck hunting, I'm guessing scuff it up really well with a sanding disk, power wash, dry and paint? Sound like the right steps to you guys? Primer first?