• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Devil's Lake Fishing Reports

Fished from shore on Sunday. Nada. Tried the entire tackle box with crawlers and leaches. Not even a bite. The shore anglers invasion was in full force and several clans were doing pretty good on the white bass, but that's about it. Tried the north end of Creel where we had success last year only to find out the water came way up. Good thing we brought rubber boots. Walked out to where the riprap was just submerged and tried our luck. Not a thing. Tried several bridges and shore fishing spots around the lake with no luck. Frustrating considering all the good reports I've heard, but they all seem to be coming from boats...

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fished sat and sunday. morning bite was nonexistant. caught all our fish after 5.00pm on slip bobbers with lead heads or floating lindy rigs with leeches and crawlers. all fish were around grahams island and hagens island

The Leech bite has been very good, either with slip floats, or with jigs tipped with Leeches pitched in shallow.

The Minnowbait cranks are doing well too, on and off.

Trolling bite by the reports I'm getting is very weather dependent.

Aggressive First Class Fighters

60 % chance of severe thunderstorms. Wind South-South East 18-24 with gusts to 31. Some storms could produce hail and heavy rain. Welcome to June in the Dakotas.

It’s not all bad news, even if this is the first day of your vacation. Ya, it’s too risky to take it out on the open water, particularly with the kids in the boat, but that don’t mean you stay cooped up moping. Take it to the extreme, go shore fishing.

That is exactly what we did. Fact is my kids would rather shore fish any day. For them the boat is too confining. No place on the planet that I’m aware of is better tailored for this than North Dakota’s Devils Lake. Miles of rip-rap with easy access. Countless bridges connecting different sections of DL. Endless feeder channels all saturated with Walleyes, Northern and White Bass.

The most challenging aspect to this style of fishing is where to start. There is simply too much opportunity to know where to begin. Let’s take it from east to west and hit just a few of the locations where we fished. It will give you a starting point.

Fish every cast is reasonable to expect with some fish going 3 pounds. White Bass are aggressive first class fighters. You can catch them everywhere in DL but my #1 location would be the Woods-Rutten road dividing East Lake and East DL. This area can get congested on weekends and particularly Memorial. Keep in mind; you can catch them everywhere in DL.

Jig and tail is what I use. Jig size depends on how windy it is. As for tails my go to color is white but today I caught them on white, chartreuse, and orange. Use what ya got. Goes without saying, fish the windy side, even if it’s like today with 20-25 winds. The “bass a cast” will more than compensate for the spray in your face. You won’t need “feel” like fishing walleyes, these guys are aggressive.

Let’s make the jump to walleyes and head west out of DL on Hwy 19. First stop is the north end of Creel Bay. I did the double take when I saw the folks from IA shore fishing from their boat. They just back’r in to the rip rap, wade out and climb aboard. Ingenious! Livewell, baitwell, cooler and comfortable seating. All while shore fishing. Boat control could not be easier and no worries about the anchor holding.

Next up is 6 mile bay and the bridge. When it’s windy, too windy for the boat, it’s just right for fishing bridges. The wind piles up the water forcing it under the bridges and creating current. Mauve Coulee bridge is just a few miles further west and another great location.

If you need a place to stay call Diane at West Bay Resort. They have very nice cabins and will treat you like family. For the next several miles it’s water on both sides and rip rap as far as you can see. My first pick is the south shore just past West Bay Resort to the junction of old 281 which is under water now. You will need boots to get to the rip-rap unless you decide to back’r in.

Jigs or lindys whichever you like best but make sure there is a leech on the end. Some even bobber fish with a leech hanging. My son Levi declared, “Dad, I got it figured out; you need to use a fresh leech.” He’s right. Slow is the key, jig or lindy. Keep your line tight. Move it an inch at a time, just enough to get the leech wiggling. There are other presentations and baits that work but these are my first picks.

Let’s end with fishing the coulees. Coulees are North Dakotan for “Crik” you know, running water. There are countless locations north of DL and often the bridges are the easiest to get to. We made a quick stop at Churchs Ferry on Hwy 2. First cast Levi hauls in a 20 incher on a lindy-n-leech. I managed a distant 2nd with an 18 on a jig and leech.

I have a friend who lives in Minot, 120 miles away. Loves to fish and in 18 years has never fished DL. Don’t know why, just never took the time. It’s just a story till ya get here. Once you’ve experienced it, tell it anyway you like. It’s your story.

Iowastyle1.jpg

North Dakota Live

Without a question the most aggressive fish I have ever caught. Some of these fish will go over 3 pounds measuring a short 16 inches. If you have kids you owe it to the family to experience this bite. You do not need a boat. My kids wouldn’t get in the boat with me for a year after one day of pitching from shore. My number one pick would be East Lake Bridge area on the Woods-Rutten road.

Watch in HD http://hsoshow.com/video/195/Devils-Lake-on-Shore

More videos at HSOshow.com™

fished this weekend all in 6 mile bay. Bring lots of bait. caught 5 small eyes to each keeper. a dozen leeches didnt last long. I fished 10 feet of water along weed edges. The weeds are at the top of the water already.

Pass me those blood pressure pills, I can’t keep up this hectic pace.

Much of what I enjoy is the result of someone else’s hard work and sacrifice. Eastbay Campground is one of many examples. I drive over and enjoy a sweet night’s stay in a cabin complete with “dish” and wake up to fresh coffee. Launch my boat and head out to where Eastbay’s owner Bill suggests I drop a line. Have the time of my life and drive home with a memory and a smile.

That smile is the result of Bill and Val’s hard work and sacrifice. Turning a flooded family farm into a resort doesn’t happen without strain. It is easy to feel the years of struggle in Bill’s heart. Devils Lake has taken as much as she has given. If you happen to be on the receiving side and find yourself smiling, pass on a word of encouragement to those who made it happen. Let’m know you’re grateful.

I have a re-occurring weakness that shows up every summer. Fishing memories. Back to where they were biting last week, last month or even last year. I found myself sitting in 15 feet on a couple of humps thinking, this just don’t feel right. “Feel right” when I’m fishing usually means my heart is struggling to overcome my brain. I finally get the point and head over to where Bill suggested I fish.

Browns Bay is around 13 feet for the most part and flat as they come. Few weeds, even less snags and stuffed to the top with several styles and sizes. They are not temperamental right now either. Cranks, jigs, spinners, live bait. Do what you like as the fish like it all.

If you are new to cranks or a bit on the shy side here is a suggestion that helps me. I look at cranks like live bait fishing. Trying different styles of cranks is the same as trying different minnows or switching crawlers to leeches. Mix up the selection with Jointed baits, high action with subtle action, big with little. Each bait has its own personality. Let the fish decide who they like.

Take a tip from the spinner guys who are masters at color change. Some days it doesn’t matter, other days it’s all that matters. Another thing the spinner gang does well is changing depths. Even if you have fish going at 10 feet it doesn’t cost much to check 8. Speed, like color can be critical. I can’t sort it all out so again; let the walleyes tell you what they like.

I have boxes of Salmo’s so don’t think Reef Runner is the only crank I own. I gave Salmo’s and several other cranks a try before it became obvious that a Wonderbread Red Rip Shad was pushing 5 to one with 3 to one odds. Jointed 5’s, Salmo’s, even Rip Shads in other colors, all coming in a distant last.

We liked 10 feet down with 35 feet of 10# Crystal tied to Rip Shads in Wonderbread Red. Hauling in a fish a minute, my best guess is the walleyes liked it as well. We started with 4 lines out the back but Jesse and I were quickly out of breath in an effort to keep lines working. Geez, my nerves are buzzing.“Jesse, pass me those blood pressure pills, I can’t keep up this hectic pace.”

Down to a manageable 2 lines we settled in for a day made for the heart. Therapy better than a professional’s couch, but I doubt much cheaper. I do recommend, like the professional, make an appointment for next week. 95 percent Walleyes, 4 percent White Bass, and 1 percent Mr. Big Northern.

We have it easy with little effort, just the way I like it. The bonus, if you’re like me and your image is tied to performance, you will be feeling Top Dog. Enjoy it for a while, then remember who made it possible.

Thanks Bill,

Greg

MrBig.jpg

Anyone shore fish lately? Looking to come up to camp next weekend and will be doing shore fishing. Any tips on where to try will be much appreciated. Eyes, pike, white bass, whatever as long as there is action! Thanks in advance.

I could of snapped my rod in half over my knee

How about this for a morning wake up call. The stout scents of fish guts and slime permeating your senses, clothing and hair followed by a good dose of fish fat. I’ll just stay with the stout scent of morning coffee, thanks anyway.

That is where I found Jim, owner of Westbay Resort early this morning as we pulled in for a day of fun. Scrubbing down the fish cleaning station is not my idea of how to get the day started. However, if I owned a resort I guess I would have to be grateful fish are biting. Kind of like when I come home and give my little Sarah a hug after a day on the water. She always says, “Dad you smell like fish.” I reply,Thank you Sarah.” Smelling like fish means I had a good day.

Jim and Diane recovered from disaster by resurrecting a flooded family farm, converting it into a sweet resort west of DL. Like any resurrection, not easily done. Westbay comes complete with family style hospitality, cabins and overnight RV sites. The bonus section includes Devils Lake walleyes right out your front door. If I tried this, distraction would have me broke the first year. Too close to the water.

Eric, a local guide on DL suggested we give the Golden Highway some attention. This underwater road comes complete with blacktop, ditches and riprap. Perfect walleye structure. It tops out right now around 16 feet, easy access for cranks, my favorite presentation. The road is basically flat, straight and long. Made for cranking.

We started the show with a Bomber 24A, Little Ripper Deep, and a couple of jointed 5’s. A Bomber 24 got us first fish and after dropping it in the livewell I noticed the second fish hanging on to the Reef Runner. I’ll take ’em anyway I can get ’em.

Normally when I have a fish on I pull the kicker out of gear and let the wind keep me moving slowly forward. Once in a while the slow down results in a double. If this happens twice I generally wake up to the fact that I may be pulling too fast. A simple adjustment in speed and often the livewell is loaded.

Rain was predicted and rain we got. About 45 minutes into fishing it started with gusto and then really let lose. After a couple of hours we decided to head back and dry off. You know it’s raining when shoreline disappears. It’s seldom I need the GPS to get off the water but today it was nice to know I was headed toward the truck heater.

With renewed attitude we headed out of the Westbay ramp and thought, “Why not start right here?” Down went a couple of jointed 5’s in Firetiger and Red Crawdad. Up came a few walleyes and more than our share of Northern. The Northern seemed to be getting bigger and smaller. They came in two sizes today. Medium at 5-8 pounds and extra small at 10 inches. Once in a while a bigger fish latched on for the ride to the boat and a picture.

Blue Bill Point is just west of the ramp and I gave it a serious look over today. It is easy to fish as it juts out into the lake in a classic long, slowly tapering, walleye looking style. We started up in 10 feet and by the end of the day made the change to 14. Numbers were better in 10 but size was better in 14. Red Crawdad gets best color award. If you’re coming to DL in July or August I suggest bringing a few along.

Blue Bill is also where I released my best fish of the day. After a long, clicker screaming, hard run I got the motor slowed and out of gear. Drag light and with a gentle touch I carefully closed the distance. We filmed the entire effort and had the fish on the surface right next to the boat. My heart was smiling as if I was on the platform and they were hanging the Gold around my neck. What a way to finish the day!

NOT! Rotten fish did a Houdini and with the flick of a gill left me staring into empty water. I could of snapped my rod in half over my knee, twisted my big motor off the transom, kicked a hole in the bottom of my boat, dogpaddled to shore and never looked back.

I guess they are biting on the weed lines. Maybe see ya there.

top.jpg

firstfish.jpg

Golden Highway for Golden walleye

Join Greg Schoneck of ND Live as he targets roadbed walleyes on the Golden Highway in Devils Lake ND. The Golden Highway tops out at 16 feet, perfect depth for mid-summer action on DL.

Watch in HD at: http://hsoshow.com/video/204/The-Golden-Highway-to-Golden-Walleye

More videos at HSOshow.com™

The last 2 weekends on devils lake the problem isnt catching fish it is catching fish over 11 inches. I have fished from 6 feet to 32 feet from the towers to grahams island to the north end of 6 mile bay. bottom boucners, jigging lead heads, pulling cranks and casting cranks. Slip bobber has produced the best with lindy rigs a close second. crawlers and leaches with leeches catching more fish. my best cranks have been #5 shad raps with a orange belly. my biggest fish have come off 2 to 3 foot humps in 15 to 32 feet of water. bottom bouncers have worked best on weed lines. I cant expalain shy so many little fish and where the big ones are. sometimes a move of 50 yards is the differance between 7 in. fish and 17 in. fish. I had a couple of incrediable afternoons of white bass fishing the water along a patch of reeds just boiled with fish the best was top water poppers coolest thing i have seen in awhile. northerns are in the shallows. alot of 5 lb pike nothing big for me yet but i havent fished very hard for them.

My dad and I are going to be fishing Devil's Lake on september 9,10,and the 11. We have never had the chance to fish it, but are very excited to try it for the first time. We would like to stock up on some tackle before we come, but haven't been able to find much information except that salmo hornets are good right now. We could really use some advice on what to use. Spinners, cranks (brand, name, size and color,etc...). Also, some general areas to fish on the lake would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Pleased to hear you are taking the plunge. I know a guy here in Minot that has always wanted to fish DL and in 20 years of wishing has yet to make it. Any new water is a challenge for all of us.

Go back in the forums and read all you can. Watch the videos. Keep what you can use and forget the rest. I used to fish tournaments and ground work can make all the difference.

Get maps preferably before you get to DL or at least when you get to DL

Stop at the bait shops and buy something you need. Then ask for information. Get specifics if you can. How deep. What color. GPS #’s. Leeches or Crawlers.

Watch the weather and most importantly the wind. That will often determine where you launch out of. Too much wind makes it tuff and at times unsafe. Normally you can work it to fish out of the main blast. The other side of the wind is if you have a good fishing wind use that to your advantage and fish the windy side of whatever structure you’re on including sunken road beds.

The above will help you determine where to fish.

Vertical ~Jigs and crawlers may be the best bet for numbers. It is just plain fun to catch a bunch of fish but you may not get many keepers. If the fun wears off do something different.

Spinners~ next to weeds has been very popular because it works and fits most fishermen.

Cranks~I use all types and colors. Don’t get a mindset from reading reports. Try different types: You mentioned Salmos also Shad Raps 5’s and 7’s, Jointed Shad Raps 5’s, Reef Runner Rip Shads, Little Ripper Deeps, Bomber 24A’s. As to color I suggest if you are just starting get Firetiger, Blue Chrome, something with White.

I will be in Devils Lake when you are there so if possible listen in on am 550 for live from the water radio reports on Thursday beginning at 8:15.

Get in touch with me if it’s not coming your way. I will try to help.

Keep your expectations in check. It may be the trip of your lifetime, but like any adventure it will have challenges.

Best of luck to you. Let us know what you learned.

Spent our weekend on Devils Lake fishing lonely Pelican Lake area. While other fisherman spent their day trolling sunken hwys and humps, jigging in timber and waiting out at the bridges we spent our time casting cranks and jigging jumbo leeches on the shores of Pelican between 2 to 15 fow. We did not see other boaters in the area at all. The walleyes were plenty and of nice size. Largest was 24". Its true the eyes in the Pelican area are bigger. Sure beats catching them cigars off the bridges and timber. smile Not only did we find the walleyes but we found the white bass too.

However caution when fishing pelican due to the sunken roads/timber. You could end up with a broken Prop. Its quite shallow in some areas.

I don’t have anything specific but the Golden Hwy has been good and has a reputation of being the place to fish DL later in the season. As we move toward Oct the bridges get good for big fish. They would be a place to check.

Are you familiar with DL? Have you fished it before?

I will be talking to a guide on DL today and will check with him to see if he has any recommendations.

I have fished there 1 time while prefishing for a tourny. It was like 3 years ago, we fished mostly in pelican, we did pull the golden highway. I remember we pulled a rip rap road i think it was east of pelican (dont remember which road) and did pretty good. Should we be concentrating on plugs or slip bobbers? thanks for the help. I have enjoyed watching your videos

Perch are starting to go in 6 mile bay. Jigging in 20 with minnows. Walleyes are still going strong all over the lake. Places I have heard about are 6 mile bay on the west side by the bait shop in 12 feet. Howards Bay in 10 feet. Concrete Bay was and may still be good.

The Golden Hwy is always a good bet but in particular this time of year. Both the top of the road and down in the ditch in 20+.

If you ask me Slip Bobbers or Cranks I will always give the same answer regardless of the bite. I love pulling cranks and fall is just made for the crank bite.

Jigs and Minnows are good and bridges will give up some big fish from now till freeze up.

NOTE: Hwy 19 west of DL is under construction. Pilot car and the works. Just be patient, you will get where you are headed but it will take more time.

Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

Please let us know how you do.

I've been working in Devils lake the past three weeks and fished a couple hours or so every night after work. Catching fish isn't a problem just need better size. I've got six guys in the boat so we have been jigging in the trees with minnows. Been fishing out of creel bay but will try to make it out to the Goldedn highway or pelican next week. It seems this lake needs wind blowing in the trees. It makes a difference to catching 10 fish to 60 fish. The northerns are starting to show up more and more everyday. Nothing with good size yet. Of course the white bass action good.

Another ice fishing season is officially underway! We are much farther ahead of previous years in ice thickness at this time of year. On most of the smaller bays, numerous anglers I have talked to report 4-6 inches of ice. As for the smaller lakes connected to Devils Lake, we have heard of 6 plus inches. I have not been hearing of any reports coming from the main lake. Luckily with the recent snowfalls we have had strong winds that have kept the snow off of the ice. With the forcast showing below normal temps, we should continue to have good, strong ice to start the ice fishing season with. I will try to keep everyone posted on Devils Lakes ice conditions.

There was a post of someone looking for an idea of jigs to use on Devils Lake. For perch I would reccomend Genz worms, forage minnows, Halis and new this season is the Forage Live. For walleyes Frostee Spoons, Jigging Shad Raps,Jigging Raps and about 90 percent of the time I have a Buckshot Rattle Spoon at the end of my line.

Also if you are planning a trip to Devils Lake and not planning on using a guide, remember you must stay mobile. On Devils Lake walleyes, perch and Northern pike are not in the same areas. Permanent houses on Devils Lake very seldom produce fish day after day.

As a guide on Devils Lake I can tell you that it takes us a lot of holes everyday and several setups to stay successful.

If you stay mobile and are willing to drill a lot of holes you will have great success on Devils Lake. See you on the ice!