• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NEW TO STURGEON and CATFISHING... POINTERS?

Hey guys, I just moved to Moose Lake MN. Grew up in Esko, MN and have fished since I was little. I've only ever gone after bass, walleye, northern's etc... the game fish. Now as of last year I started doing some catfishing... mostly just using chicken liver out on the Red or the Snake here in MN.... I'm looking for some decent places for cats and sturgeon near the Moose Lake area.... I have a good spot for the Sturgeon on the Moosehead... any other areas around here? Oh... and maybe some bait other than crawlers or for the Sturgeon? Or other than liver for the cats? And yes, I know it's ONLY catch and release on the Sturgeon... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

I don't think you can target Sturgeon other then the border waters

From page 19 2009 reg book.

"LAKE STURGEON Closed

or SHOVELNOSE

STURGEON

See Border Waters section (pages 50, 55, 57) for other sturgeon waters."

So fish the border or ........

Yeah, I'd be a bit careful about where you target those sturgeon! As far as other baits for cats, I have found that the chicken liver will get you more fish, but the size tends to lack, however, cut bait tends to get me the nicer sized fish but just less of them. I would go to your local bait shop and ask if they have any frozen dead suckers, that's what I typically use for cut. Just cut them into 3 or 4 chunks and put a piece or two on your hook depending on hook size.

Yeah, the local DNR said that I can fight a sturgeon anywhere for up to 45 minutes.... than pick it up and snap a photo, then it must be released immediately. It's only legal to keep them on the Rainy River unfortunately. I catch suckers a lot, and have a bunch cut up... so I will try it. Any clue if the Kettle or Moose Horn have cats?

Yeah, I'd be a bit careful about where you target those sturgeon! As far as other baits for cats, I have found that the chicken liver will get you more fish, but the size tends to lack, however, cut bait tends to get me the nicer sized fish but just less of them. I would go to your local bait shop and ask if they have any frozen dead suckers, that's what I typically use for cut. Just cut them into 3 or 4 chunks and put a piece or two on your hook depending on hook size.

I was now informed that it's illegal to use cut bait in MN??

Yeah, the local DNR said that I can fight a sturgeon anywhere for up to 45 minutes.... than pick it up and snap a photo, then it must be released immediately.

Also, you cannot intentionally target sturgeon except when there is an open season (check the regs for Rainy River and St. Croix River seasons). Shovelnose sturgeon can be targeted year round on the Mississippi downstream from the Red Wing dam.

I guess that came out wrong.... I know that you cannot INTENTIONALLY target the Sturgeon... I meant, that if I hooked into one while cat, or sucker fishing.... And was made aware that it was indeed a Sturgeon on the line, I couldn't fight it for longer than 45 minutes before having to cut the line smile And I could only have it out of the water long enough to snap one picture and get the hook out.

Any suggestions on locations for Catfish around the Moose Lake or Duluth area? Does the Kettle have Catfish or the Moosehorn, Willow River? I know St. Louis does, I just need to find a spot to fish above the factories where the fish aren't contaminated!

I've heard the Cloquet river has some good numbers, but never tried it before. I would recommend posting this on the BWCA/Duluth forum, I'm sure those guys would be able to help you out.

Any other good access in the Moose Lake general area? Public dock? I have a four year old too so areas seem to be limited... I got a boat, but need a boat trailer so we're limited to shore. Any pointers for decent areas would be awesome