• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Billfish lures

Scoot

My uncle was recently in Florida and stumbled into these billfish lures.

Billfishlures.jpg

He said he thought of me when he saw them and "had to" get them for me. I think they look pretty sweet! The hooks are a small for muskies, but I think they'll work just fine. What do you think?

I've never used the Williamson brand, but have used a similar type eel bait. Size wise, they are great the action is awesome when hard snapped. Those hooks are way to small for muskies. You could switch 'em to 4/0 Mustads or VMC's and still have good action on the bait. There are a lot of great offshore lures that can make the transition!

Jerry, regarding the hooks- that's what I thought, but there's no easy way to swap them out. There are no split rings on that lure and the hooks are on a solid, through wire leader that only leaves the plastic where the hooks are at. Would you cut the hooks and add small split rings to attach bigger hooks?

Yeah, I'd cut the hooks and add some sort of ring to them - Maybe even try to weld a ring. Not sure the thickness of the wire in them, but it may be pretty slight. If you switch to a split ring, I'g go with a smaller heavy duty job, or one of the more squared kind. I'd also get rid of the tail hook. 3 on this bait would be needless - You could probably even get away with one single 5/0 at the front and take off the 2nd and 3rd. Double split ring the 5/0 or pull the existing through wire out and rewire it with seven strand to just the front hook. It should work awesome!

Thanks- I'll give that a try. I'll likely get rid of the middle hook, but keep one in the front (for head hunters) and one in the back (for tail nippers).

Scoot -

I spent last April in Houston so I browsed the saltwater sections at the BPS stores quite a bit and ended up picking a package of these up myself. Did use them more than an hour or so but I did have two lookers. I guess we'll have to compare notes this year.

-erik

those look excellent. I'd probably want to sand that lip down though, or buy a shallow running version. I suppose if twitched slowly enough it could stay near the top, i can see this being a pretty nasty soft jerk-bait.

ive tried similar ones, the only prob. is that you have to pull them at 6-12 mph, they run fairly shallow when your at speed, plus being designed for salt water the lure runs a little higher in the watercolum cause of the salt. my fav. is the williamson ballyhoo, its only like 12 or 14", and its got a ribbon tail. I down sized the hooks to a 3/0 short shank and it lightened it up a bit. I got it to troll at 4.8-6.2, imo the fastest id troll. ive also run them off a down rigger, then further down I run a dcg. its fun to try new stuff