• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout Pics... 2009

itchmesir

I got my personal best of 17" inches tonight. Then an hour later got a 20 incher. Unbelievable.

3544967092_211978beb9.jpg

I got skunked Sunday and tonight caught the biggest trout ever after work...

Barely fit in my fancy new net.

3544158037_4ffc78f08f_o.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, those were both the 20 incher...

Yes on the timing... the sun is getting so high now that they are just unreachable until 7 or 8. The PM is working for me.

Man they were leaping last night. Crazy.

My 16" 20" and 21" this year were all caught before 7:30 am. Most were caught shortly after sunrise. Low light is the key for big ones. Sunrise or sunset is the way to do it, at least for spin fishing.

I caught mine at 12:15 on Saturday, sunny and hot. I was turkey hunting so the trout fishing all came between 11 AM and 4 PM - horrible conditions but did prett well nonetheless

Wow, no shiz. Nice. Maybe I need a different approach during the high sun hours. Were they deep? Perhaps the spinner is unattractive or moving too fast or something...

What flies you using?

On a side note, I had a turkey scare the hizzle out of me last night. Hiking through the woods. I actually yelled when it took off.

during the middle of the day I concentrate on fast moving areas, if they're next to deep water even better. Favorite is an outside bend with a cut bank. I fish fast and look for reaction bites

I detest spinners, never had them work for me, not to mention the line twist. If I'm spin fishing I'll use a small husky jerk or if they are in a really tough mood i hit the ol' easy button and use crawlers

Flyfishing, its hard to beat an olive wooly bugger, I like bead and coneheads. Legs are good, so's a little flashabou. Damselfly nymph patterns work well for me too. If you had to pin me down for a dry fly and a wet fly I'd go with an elk hair caddis and a bead-head olive wooly bugger

Sweet thanks for the info. I have always had an easy time with spinners and hard time with flies. I am gathering as much info as possible.

Perhaps I will pick up some bead-head olive wooly bugger. Thanks a ton.

Originally Posted By: gooty
Eat your heart out boys...31 inch CHROME!

I think that one has been in the river a while, enough to lose the silver. I got a 32 out of there earlier this spring. That place is getting a growing number of fishermen every year.

3543722457_2a2fe12895_o.jpg

I understand the fish is not chrome, but thats what i call any steelie i catch...i know the fish are actually SILVER chrome when they come in fresh from the lake, and get darker the longer they stay...when i catch,hook, see a steelhead..i yell CHROME...cuz its awesome. and how can you tell what river that is!?

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again, thank you.

on a side note and not to get off track but i never understand people around my area saying "yea.. im going up north to fish" why? you're surrounded by amazing fishing where you're at.. save yourself $100's and travel 50mi at the most

You're correct that we have some great fishing here in SE MN, but there are a several reasons that people go 'up north' to go fishing. One is that there are some species that can be found in greater numbers in some of the lakes 'up north' than they are around here. Walleye's, northerns, muskies are a few that come to mind. Some people like the scenery from the cabin porch looking out on the sunset over the lake better than the view of the house across the street. It is also easier to find more secluded locations 'up north' and I'm sure there are many more reasons people could give.

However, the number 1 reason that I take a fishing vacation 'up north' every year is to RELAX. When I'm on a fishing vacation away from home I have 2 choices for what to do everyday. Fish or sit and do nothing. Two excellent choices in my book. Sometimes while I'm fishing here in SE MN, and certainly when I return home there is always work I could/should be doing around the house and at the office. Therefore, instead of being able to relax, I'm debating whether or not to work.