Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2Labs

Searching for fishing area

9 posts in this topic

Hello all.......newbie here. First, great forum you have, have been reading for sometime. I would like to tap your knowledge. My wife and I have just returned to the midwest after a career in the military. We are empty nesters, and would like to get back into fishing the midwest. We are looking at boats....probably 16' with 50 or 60 hp o/b. We are also looking for general areas in Minnesota/Canada to fish. Our species of interest are smallmouth bass (fly rod if possible), walleye, and some pike. We are interested in smaller lakes, as my wife doesn't like big water. We have an RV, so resorts aren't required. We also are looking for a more secluded fisheries, as we lived in Alaska for years, and enjoy the solitude away from the crowds. In short, what areas or lakes in Minnesota/Canada should we concentrate on, and start our homework/research. Thanks in advance for any input

Northeast MN would be the smallmouth/walleye/pike area. There are a lot of lakes you could probably have some quiet time on.

Dont forget the mississippi river great smallie action always different as well and there hundereds of miles to pick from otherwise go way north

No question in my mind go north.

ely/gunflint/cook/tower area you should be pleased. Good Fishing!!

No question in my mind go north.

ely/gunflint/cook/tower area you should be pleased. Good Fishing!!

Agree.

Leech, Kab, Lake of the woods, Gunflint trail, Echo trail, Sawbill trail, Rainy lake, Many lakes around the Kenora area. Lots of options. Sounds like you have a little r&r coming since you are empty nesters. Don't overlook the northern waters of Wisc. and the UP as they have alot of nice lakes and some attractive angling opps as well.

Tunrevir~

If you live in SD go fish the Webster, SD area. There is a lot of great lakes with good walleye fishing. There is a lot of us from MN who drive there to fish. There is a free camp site in town for your RV.

Thanks guys...good info. The research begins.

Wplatehunter: Looks like lots of lakes around Webster...any you would recommend, and are there any bait shops nearby. Thanks.