• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Diet Transition Question

lenny7

My YL just turned a year old and I decided to move him from puppy food to adult food. I had been using NutriSource Large Breed Puppy Food with great results. Always wondering if there was something else out there that might be better, I decided to try Taste of the Wild. It's about 40% to 50% more expensive but the ingredient list is fantastic. I bought the "Prairie" version and the first 4 ingredients are meat, including venison and bison.

I made the transition over the course of 9 days. Towards the end of the transition he started getting really soft stools, like half melted soft-serve ice cream.

If his stool is going to remain like this, I'm switching back to NutriSource adult food, but I want to make sure I give his body a chance to adjust to this. How long should I wait for his stools to firm up before giving up? He's been on 100% TotW for a couple days now I'm thinking I'll stick with it at least a week or so.

I'm sure it depends on the dog and how big of a difference the two foods are. I would think you'd start seeing atleast some change back to normal after a few days.

If you are going from a chicken/rice or lamb/rice food to something heavier with beef or red meets I could see it being a little harder on the digestive system until he gets used to it.

Been feeding NutriSource for several years and highly recommend it. Your dog would switch between NS varieties easily. In fact, My Sibs and Springers are moving to Senior for the summer (Except the younger dogs stay on Adult). They all get Adult for Fall and Winter and Performance when they're running or hunting. Heading to Dutch's tonight to restock. A friends Germ. S-Hair is on it, looks great, too.

Normally its best to slowing blend in new foods in increasing amounts. Some dogs are not bothered and the probiotics in NS helps ease transition.

Interesting that all these things are available for our dogs long before they offer them to us - lymes disease shots, probiotics (think yogurt commercials.)