• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another kinglet (cute poses)

Catmendo

This little Ruby-crowned really gave the impresion that he wanted to be photographed, not that's there's any merit to my way of thinking! wink

First off, the "frontal stare".

IMG_4788-1.jpg

Then there's the "look of innocence".

IMG_4791-1.png

...and finally there's the "Ok, I've had enough photo's taken, thank you very much"!

IMG_4790-1.jpg

Steve...here we go again, is it a song sparrow or a ?

IMG_4837-1.jpg

This one's easy...a Swainson's Thrush

IMG_4733-1.png

Another Yellow-rump...

IMG_4723-1.jpg

The quality isn't pleasing to the eye, however the reason I decided to share this photo of the Great horned was the birds behavioural pattern during the time I was in its nesting area! At one time the owl actually flew to the ground and immdiately began displaying the wounded bird syndrome! The very same display your typical Killdeer displays when threatened. It was an amazing spectical to witness! (Just when you think you've seen it all)

IMG_4670-1.jpg

You have to love kinglets--no neck, big eyes. I was on a quest for the ruby this spring. Got a couple small ruby crowns. I saw some really bright ruby crests, but of course they had their back to me. Then I left during the invasion. You did really well! Congrats.

great images here stu!! I love them all, and the comments you add to them always make me smile smile

interesting about the owl eh?

keep 'em coming! it's raining here today, on my last day off,, arg,, now I'll have to wait till next week to get out again..

Thanks Sue, if they brightened up your day "great"! wink

By the way, yesterday (early evening) I headed back over to where the Great horn's are apparently nesting. As is always the case, I was acommpanied by my little female sheltie "Lexy". As we quietly approached the general area where I've sighting the owl's, one of the owl's left it's roost, flew approximately 200' and preceded to land on the ground. It immediately began (and loudly I might add) it's wounded bird routine! This went on for approx. 15 seconds and then the owl took to the wing headed for our location. Once again it landed on the ground and immediately started up the same wounded act routine! Unfortunately because of the thick undergrowth and general cover I couldn't get a decent shots of this phonominia.... mad However, I decided to walk Lexy back over to the vehicle and put in safely aboard. Upon returning to the location of the owl the bird was once again perched high up in one of the water willow trees. As I sat there observing it for ten of so minutes, it seemed like the owl was at total ease with my presence.

Over all a very interesting observation! wink