• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Zone 3 changes......

Here you go Zone 3...SF1116...looks like it has passed the senate and is in finance....

Sec. 49. ZONE 3 DEER SEASON AND RESTRICTIONS; 2009.

For the 2009 deer season, notwithstanding rules of the commissioner of natural

resources under Minnesota Statutes, section 97B.311, paragraph (a), the commissioner

shall allow a nine-day early A season in Zone 3 beginning the Saturday nearest November 6 and a nine-day late B season in Zone 3 beginning the Saturday nearest November 20.

During the last two days of the 2009 early A season, a person must take only antlered

deer with at least two points, unless the person has taken an antlerless deer prior to

taking the antlered deer during the early A season in Zone 3. Party hunting for antlered deer under Minnesota Statutes, section 97B.301, subdivision 3, is not allowed in the last two days of the 2009 early A season in Zone 3. Zone 3 is defined in Minnesota Rules, part 6232.1400, subpart 3.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lichen, I cleaned it up by getting rid of the paragraph and line numbers.

So it looks like season A has an antler restriction on the last two days combined with earn a buck and no party hunting for antlered deer on the last two days. Boy, that is hard to read, if the way it is written right now stays, there will be a lot of confusion.....

I'm confused..

1. "a person must take only antlered deer with at least two points,"

-Does that mean at least 2 points on 1 side? Or the only thing off limits is a button buck?...

2. How the heck do you do Earn a Buck when some of the areas are lottery? If you don't get drawn in the lottery, you only can shoot a doe those 2 days with your 1 License foregoing muzzleloader and archery the rest of the year?

Don't worry about being confused about this until it passes through the final few hurdles...but it does look like this bill will pass in it's entirety...hopefully they clean it up a bit when they add it to the new 500 page synopsis...

re:

1. I read that as a spike with "2" spikes...or...a single antler with at least one additional point...

2.In lottery areas it appears that you would have to take your one and only deer, (doe or buck), in the first 7 days of the A season...(assuming that is the only option you have for hunting)

AND..."if you "DON'T" get drawn in the lottery...", and you are hunting a lottery area...you would have to have filled your tag in the first 7 days of the 3A season...or I suppose if you hunt an intensive or managed area, you would have to have harvested at least one anterless deer in the first 7 days to be able to use a second anterless permit in the last two days.

Now I'm getting confused....just glad I don't hunt zone 3...your turn to be the field testers....us folks up here in NW MN have had our turn for the past several years...

I know. I'm just frustrated with the whole thing. I hunt around Whitewater and there are so many deer there I have no idea why it is even lottery. I was just down there 3 weeks ago talking with the farmers and there were fields they didn't even harvest last year because of the depridation from all the deer.

I'm assuming the antler point restirction was from the BWA pushing it. Didn't they just simplify the hunting rules a year ago, and now they are making all these restrictions again.

What happened to just going hunting?

This blows, it should be all or nothing. Why restrict that last two days, the little guys have already been blasted. Totally not thrilled about this, again, either do restrictions, or don't. Whitewater is over-run with deer. I'll have to wait and see what this actually turns out to be. I might be going 3A for the first time ever. I thought they finally had it right by cutting down the 3A and increasing the 3B season. Now they do this. Excellent guys, way to go Minnesota Whitetail Hunters Association. They will not get a dime from me if this is how it ends up. Why not take an actual stance and stick your neck out, go all AR or not. This is just a sly way of getting those two days back. If you have been reading the RPB, I dont think it was so much BWA.

Quote:
or I suppose if you hunt an intensive or managed area, you would have to have harvested at least one anterless deer in the first 7 days to be able to use a second anterless permit in the last two days.

Whywould anyone go 3B?

Let's see..So I can hunt the same amount of days in A as B AND hunt the last 2 days of B with a muzzleloader...wonder which one to do...

I don't mind Earn-a-buck if 344 wasn't already lottery. Hopefully, they only make that for the intensive and management areas.

I'm still kind of fired up about this. I am going to have to eat some major crow. I was all in favor of some kind of management, and then they come up with this. Wow, I would like to know what they think this is going to do? Why on earth don't they A.R. the whole time frame? I hope, I truley hope the DNR has more sense than this.

Any anti-restriction people can now tell me I told you so... I am 100% confident that this will not work, and will only cause more hunting pressure during 3A, leading to more immature bucks getting shot opening weekend. I have a group of ten people that have been seriously considering going the A season. I wonder how many other people are going to think the same way.

Lets just cram them all into Whitewater. I'm really confused about the whole EAB portion.

When they opened the 4 counties up here in northern mn as a "test area" for the first ever 2 deer limit...(one with bow and one with rifle) We also thought we'd have a huge influx of hunters in our areas...But it never really made much difference...we also thought the same would happen when we were the first to have the early anterless and youth hunts...We were "sure" that we would be overrun with hunters from everywhere...we had a few, but not near as many as we "thought" we'd have....

As for the antler point restriction....as it is written it is pretty liberal...come on a two pointer? That is surely not going to "let more imature bucks walk" and hence grow bigger...and, if you read the language...it is specifically for "2009"...I really think they are implementing these changes just to "see"..."how enforceable" that certain types of restrictions may be and what the overall compliance is...it's easier to concentrate that into two days rather than the whole 9 days to start with.

you know after reading it a few times that makes no sense at all and it wont work, so if im reading this wrong someone tell me. In that area for the first week you can shoot what you want. But the last 2 days are when they actually enforce the A.R. and party hunting for bucks???

Lichen, I hope your right, but I will say this right now. SEMN is getting increasingly noticed and increasingly more pressure every year. When it starts to get known as the deer mecca thats 30 minutes from Rochester and 90 minutes from the twin cities, why would they go north? I think we probably get as many urban hunters in SEMN as the great north does, only in a much smaller area. Be interesting to look at license sales and see what happens. Anyone have any data?

96Trigger, where did the increase in hunters go hunting or is there a lot of public land in the SE ? My area is saturated with stands on every acre it seems, there is little to no access because it's mostly private and everyone knows someone who hunts deer. MB

Whitewater State Park is a warzone during firearm, it seams that it gets more and more pressure every year. Last year, when the 3B hunters hooked up with all the Muzzleloader hunters that last weekend, I don't think one piece of the state land didn't get driven. Look at the deer area map. If you look at area 344, that is basically Whitewater state park. The reason that it is lottery when everything else in the area is intensive is because it gets hit so hard. I completely pull out of the area and go to 342 during the firearm season. You can't believe the stream of vehicles heading to Elba.

So, I guess to answer your question MB, they get crammed into 344 if they can't find any other state land. There are a few small chunks of stateland in the area, but that is the largest tract.

Yes, basicly it changes nothing for the first 7 days of the season....then, it's not earn a buck...it's earn a doe! Because...you can only shoot Bucks, (two points or better), on the last two days.....UNLESS...you have harvested a doe,(anterless deer) in one of the first 7 days...If that's the case you are then elegible to shoot another doe,(anterless deer)in the final two days, provided your permit area allows the harvest of more than one deer,...So it looks like they want to increase the doe harvest during the first 7 days...and for all practical purposes it changes nothing if you're a BUCK HUNTER only...unless you want to shoot that single "three-inch" spiker you've been seeing on one of the last two days.

Actually, I think it changes everything. It really makes the first season the sweet season. We used to have a buck and a doe season. 3A was the buck only season, 3B was the doe/buck season.

A couple of years ago, they went to lottery during 3B for antlerless tags. we never saw as many deer during the 3B season after that, but we did see a couple more larger bucks because some of the 3A season made it through after some guys filled their tags with a doe and were done hunting. It was a tradeoff that I thought was OK. We were also able to shoot multiple deer during the 3B season using management tags not usable during the 3A season.

If what you are saying is right lichen, I am totally going to stand by what I said before. Why on earth would anyone want to go during 3B. I know that it is over Thanksgiving and which draws a few extra people, but I don't think thats enough to get me to continue hunting 3A even though I usually have the whole week off. Especially now that it looks like we could get more than one deer during 3A.

Hunting the 3B is difficult. The deer get pushed pretty hard during the 3A season. having a full 7 days to calm them down made a pretty big difference. The deer somewhat got back to some normal patterns for the opening of 3B. However, after the first couple of days of 3B, the deer became very scarce and hole up in "sanctuaries" where hunting is prohibited. I know that we have a plenty of deer down here, but opening up the 3A season to shoot more does completely elliminates the need for a 3B.

I have a novel Idea. 1 zone 3 season with antler restrictions. Muzzleloader hunt during the 3B season. Or, start the zone 3 firearm season during the week of Thanksgiving, no antler restrictions, keep it open for 9 days, then close for 5, reopen the following weekend for Muzzleloader.

I truly don't know why anybody would want to hunt 3B, except for the extra days off because of Thanksgiving. If you don't have a large chunk of private land to go on, your odds of being successful in 3B are really going to diminish. I don't believe that I will be one of the guys to wait and find out.

Also, if this is what they want to try for just to test the water. Make all the restrictions on the first (opening) weekend. Their should be less restrictions as the season goes on, not the other way around. Its complete bass-ackwards.

When they simplified the zones last year the DNR said that the only reason they kept the 3B season when they got rid of all the others across the state was purley for tradition and the social aspect of it. That's it.