• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

abu garcia

grizkid

A call to ABU customer service will get you the "official" answer. However, it's nearly impossible, or almost meaningless, to describe reel performance via "inches per crank". Retrieve rate specifics will be greatly affected by spool diameter/circumference. More line on a spool equals greater spool diameter, which equals more inches retrieved per spool revolution. Smaller spool diameter equals a lower rate of retrieve. Your "inches per crank" rates are always smallest at the start of your retrieve, and always largest toward the end. Likewise, the amount of line you're retrieving is always changing. IMHO: Put as much line on your ABU as your comfort zone allows, and pay more attention to gear ratios than "inches per crank".

I agree completely with Chief. Gear ratio is what you are looking for not a variable stat. Ever since people started using Trinidads, which advertise 48 inches per crank, that seems to be the info people are looking for. However, it is still incredibly variable. But if you want a more definitive answer, we tried to measure it last year to compare to a Trinidad TN 12. A full 7000i Pro Rocket. Both were spooled with White 100# Tuf-line Plus. The Abu picked up about 32 inches per crank - If I remember correctly.

thanks for the info guys was just curios as i use this reel for dcgs and was wondering how it comparede to a saltist 50, tinidad is uncomfortable for me was just seeing if it was reely worth getting a saltist but i think i'll use this till it blows.

thanks for the info guys was just curios as i use this reel for dcgs and was wondering how it comparede to a saltist 50, tinidad is uncomfortable for me was just seeing if it was reely worth getting a saltist but i think i'll use this till it blows.

Saltist 50? Their 40 model does 48 inches per crank at full capacity, 30 and 20 do less and are physically smaller than the 40 or a 7000.

And which trinidad is uncomfortable? There are at least 3 model's/sizes all with different line pickup rates. The 16N is the big one, about the same size as a saltist 40 or a 7000, might be a tad larger.

jred sry bout the 50 had the revo stuck in my head comparing to the saltist 30 i tried the 16n last year and didn't like it it just felt akward might not have been all the real was on a freinds rod which is a 8' okuma the handle seems to be thicker on this as well I already have a 7000 was given to me and its not exceptionally comfortable either but i make do it was free.

Saltist 30TH (tall/Narrow)is the most like the Trinidad for burning. I feel it helps to have a longer rod with the high speed...minimum 8'6" otherwise I feel like I'm fighting the rod and tougher to keep the lure in the water, figure 8's etc.

Saltist

Model

Number Action

FW/SW Bearings Gear

Ratio Line Per

Handle Turn Wt.

(oz.) Line Capacity

(Lb. Test/Yards) Drag

Max

Ultra High Speed

STT20H -/L 2CRBB, 2BB, 1RB 6.1 : 1 36.0" 0 12/420, 14/350, 20/210 15.4

STT30H -/ML 2CRBB, 2BB, 1RB 6.1 : 1 36.0" 0 14/490, 20/295, 25/230 15.4