Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
no_luck

whats a good hour for cat

15 posts in this topic

morming,afternoon, or sunset? whats the best hour for cat? thanks for any advise..

IMO 8:30pm-midnight.

Although this year is going to hold some 4:00am-11:00am trips for sure. I want to try this. It will not ruin the entire day after then (wife and kids)..

shackbash, thanks i will give it a try.

rushing, you right and it better to have a cat on the end of the line.

I always hear that an hour before to and hour after sunset is the ultimate time to fish, but for me I always have the best luck when it gets pitch black up until about 1 AM or later.

my favorite hour is the hour the fish are biting on my hook.

the best times for me have also been 8:30- midnight

For flats, the night time is the right time.

Channels will bite all day, if you know where they are. Especially now, during the pre-spawn period.

Anytime can be productive. You just have to change locations according to time of day. One of my biggest flats was caught in the middle of the day, and my biggest channel was caught at 1 pm.

I don't know about the fish, but I love wetting the line for cats from 6-sunset. It's my favorite time to fish. The flats definitely start moving out of cover then and beginning to feed. I've experienced times where the bite has been spotty with channels, but as soon as the sun starts tucking behind the horizon, it's like a switch being flipped and they get aggressive. But that happens with just about all species.

Anytime can be productive. You just have to change locations according to time of day. One of my biggest flats was caught in the middle of the day, and my biggest channel was caught at 1 pm.

Very true, catfish are not primarily nocturnal..but they are most certainly nighttime feeders. They are first and foremost opportunistic feeders, anytime is lunchtime.

90% of my Catfishing in the summer months is during the daylight hours or at dusk and dawn in the hottest part of the summer. Mostly due to my comfort preferences not primarily due to catfish activity.

The bigger the fish, the more likely they will feed during THEIR preferred times, which is night. The littler ones are more likely to feed more often throughout a 24 hour period because of their metabolism. But that neglects the factor of opportunity. If a cat, no matter the size, has an easy meal in front of him he'll eat it.

The top 4 Channel Cats over 42" I have caught all were during the day, in the fall, on baits they are specifically keyed into.

Every system has it's peaks and troughs on seasonal patterns, day or night. Working to learn them is the biggest key to catching fish consistently no matter what time of the day or night it may be.

Structure poor environments tend to be night bite oriented, and structure rich environments the opposite.