• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

up close deer

Sue, I used the 100-400 hard for four years. I thought I recognized it, but wanted to make sure.

There are a few oddities to master, but once mastered it's the best combination of flexibility and IQ in the Canon supertele lineup! It's a shame you can't come down here for some hands-on, but if you make a new post asking for 100-400 hints, I bet you'd get a lot! gringrin

Sue, I used the 100-400 hard for four years. I thought I recognized it, but wanted to make sure.

There are a few oddities to master, but once mastered it's the best combination of flexibility and IQ in the Canon supertele lineup!

well that's promising,, but I think my "writers block" is from not seeing anything when I am out,, I'm very frustrated with the whole thing right now,, I go out, or I try to a few times a week, and sit or ride, or even walk, and am not seeing anything, or when I do, I make stupid mistakes and spook it. eek I am a hunterwoman, I know better,, I find I am getting mad at myself alot.. I think I got to slow down, and not try so hard,, maybe then things will happen for me.

thanks for the input on the lens,, I was so excited when I got it in February,, I've got an upcoming trip in June, and hope to get better at it for that!

I think I got to slow down, and not try so hard.

If you are in a hurry or anxious, the animals sense it. People who want instant gratification should watch TV gameshows or Internet sites like Facebook. Nature photographers like us, on the other hand, put into practice the axiom that less is more. smilesmile

I've sat in one spot for 16 hours waiting for the light to get perfect, hoping that, once it was perfect, something would step/fly/swim into the frame. It happens once in ten tries, or less, but whether you make a capture or not, slowing your body's systems, letting the pulse drag, allowing the eye to catch subtle movements . . . well . . . why else go into the wilds? smilesmile

very true, I think I get all caught up in my "honey dew list" that I am not making time for me,, and then I feel rushed,, my schedule allows me 4 days off in a row, good grief, I should be able to take a day or two for myself,, no? laugh

tonight what I did was went to a few places, scoping it out for what you speak of,, an area that's a great landscape, and with any luck at all, something might surprise me!

thanks steve for understanding me, and giving me your input,, much appreciated!!

Sue - I love this series. I have the same lens and learning how to use it as well.

yea I have heard so many great things about this lens,, which is why I really wanted it,, I am in the bush so much throughout the year,, I figured I might put it to some good use,, nothing really jumps out at me in the way of "images" just yet,, but soon I am sure I'll get it figured out,, good luck with your learning curve Debbie,, it's going to be an adventure I am sure!!

thanks for the comments Deb smile

There's definitely a learning curve on the 100-400, partly because the push-pull zoom takes some getting used to and partly because shooting a supertelephoto offers a few challenges of its own with steadying technique.

Lots of fun learning, though! smilesmile

When I shot that lens, I generally left iso at 400 so I could stop down one stop to f8 and still have enough shutter speed in most situations to capture sharp images. The 100-400 is a little soft wide open at 400mm. Bumping it back to 350mm wide open or stopping down to f8 sharpens it up. That slight softness varies slightly from copy to copy of the lens and is generally noticeable only to photographers, who really scope our our own work. A monopod with that lens (actually with any IS lens 200mm or over) is a deadly combo.