Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'wheelhouse'.
Found 1 result
I have been building my 22' wheelhouse and figured I would share since I got a lot of ideas and information from following others builds on here (namely Mr. LipRipperGuy). So here it is: My wife and I looked at countless houses from all the brands and never found quite what we were after. The Yetti Legend came closest to what we wanted but farthest from our budget. So, glutton for punishment that I am, I sketched out some plans and made a very detailed material list as best I could. Finding sources for a lot of the parts that go into one of these was one of my biggest hurdles. The house is a 22' +V with a bump out in the back for the bay window. The trailer is aluminum. A few pieces needed to be made of steel and they are galvanized. It will have most of the RV type features offered now. The toilet will be a cassette type that I think will be much more convenient for winter use. Finding a dump station, rinsing and winterizing tanks after every use was a concern. I wanted to be able to use the plumbing in the winter with as little hassle as possible and I hope that will be the case. All water lines will be run inside the house and with a constant slope to them so that they can be "winterized" after use by just opening a valve at the low point before packing up to head home. The tankless water heater and fresh water tank will be drained the same way. The cassette from the toilet can either be dumped in a bucket to freeze or in a toilet on shore. Rinse with a little RV antifreeze and you're good to go. Maybe I overthought it and maybe it won't even work but this was my best guess at it. The roof is a single piece of aluminum sheeting. It's lightweight, seamless and easy to install. Seemed like the way to go. The subfloor is a fiberglass reinforced foam. Its slightly lighter than wood and will never rot. Kind of pricey stuff but seemed like a good place to splurge. I've been using Google Sketchup for several years now and can't imagine trying to take on a project like this without it. A few things changed slightly since this drawing but this is pretty close. ....and some of my wall layouts The frame and all the aluminum tubing for the walls and roof... The walls are 1"x2"x1/8" and the roof is 1"x3"x1/8". I had the diamond plate for the wheel wells bent by the supplier. I then cut them to size and welded the top to the sides/back. Its sitting upside down in this picture. I also had the siding pieces bent ahead of time by the supplier. To mark the windows I propped the piece on a straight edge clamped to the frame and then traced the window opening from the inside. The first few I cut out with "slicer" wheels in an angle grinder which worked fine but I ended up using a carbide tipped circular saw blade for the rest. Much faster and seemed to be a bit easier to hold the line. After the window opening was marked I installed the window and then the sheeting covered the window flange. The siding is of course held on with VHB type double sided tape. I let all the siding sheets run tall and then ran the saw along the top to trim them. This cut was not critical because the roof sheeting folded over the siding and was then covered by trim. Rolling the roof out. The graphics. The roof trim isn't completely installed in this picture. You can see the way the roof overlaps the siding. The wife insisted on an awning. I didn't think we needed it but was glad to have it working outside a few rainy days. I was losing warm weather and decided to get the first coat of spray foam on the walls before wiring. This worked out alright but I have to say, spray foaming it myself is the only thing so far that I would definitely think twice before doing again. Because of the outside temperatures I didn't get nearly the yield out of the kits that I should have. I ended up having to buy extra. The bathroom with pocket door. Wiring The "help" We decided to go with cedar planks to cover the walls and ceiling. And the start of the cabinets This is where I'm at so far. There's a lot of finishing work left but I'm still hoping to get out in it before the end season. Quite possible some things will end up getting finished up in the spring. I'll update as things progress.