Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Create something you want to share

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, your goal is not to make money or get them to do what you want, but to fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Forums

1. Fishing, Hunting & Outdoor Activities

1. HSO "Members Only" Insider Fishing Reports

You want to Sign In or Sign Up (upper right) to use this forum.

5. Ice Team Forum   (7,272 visits to this link)

CLICK HERE-Ice Team.com

6. 33,220
    8. Ultimate Panfish League   (3,554 visits to this link)

9. 1,788
    11. Resort & Lodging Vacancies/DEALS   (8,667 visits to this link)

12. HSOList Free Classified Ads   (6,015 visits to this link)

2. North American Fishing Reports & Hunting Info

1. 17,107
    11. Minnesota Fishing Reports - Hunting   (67,969 visits to this link)

12. 540
    22. Wisconsin Fishing Reports - Hunting   (21,836 visits to this link)

3. Hunting Forums

1. 37,624

1. 74,311

1. Fishing Minnesota Forums - Click Here   (4,982 visits to this link)

6. Wisconsin Fishing Reports - Hunting

1. 7,875
  7. Outdoor Activities

1. 27,111

1. 2,971

1. 37,864

1. 12,240

• Over Some Food Stamps Lady Goes Off On a Family At a Wal mart
      Potatoes, bannanas, white bread, pork, beans, rice... These all can go a looong way on a little bit of money.  I agree plenty of people need the benefits.  I do not agree that the system allows them to eat steak and candy bars on the tax payers dime.  Everyone should be able to eat, and your right, there is plenty of money in the system(probably to much) it's just being wasted on expensive foods that aren't even healthy.  The thing is even if the majority are spending on cheap but hearty staples, just having a few blow through $200 of garbage and more luxury foods when $50.00 would suffice, puts a huge strain on the system. 
    • Best and biggest Steak in Brainerd area?
      I was going to mention Timber Jacks, but I'm a little biased as the owner is an old college/hunting/fishing buddy of mine. It took him an hour to tease up his hair back in the heavy metal/glam rock days before we would go hit the 'kato bars in his Iroc. *chuckle*  So I've never had a bad meal there, and one year the drinks almost kept me from making the Jaycees Ice Tourney the next morning. The smoked ribs are also very good, so good that the bbq sauce is served on the side.
      Not everyone can afford to look 10-15 years down the road.  Pride can also be a luxury at times.  If I'm sitting at home with young kids to feed do I let them starve because I've got too much pride?  Do I let them starve for 10 years because of some long term plan of not letting them starve in the future?  Sometimes you have to make decisions based on how to survive today and then worry about the future later.  Of course in an ideal world you take the job and hope to make it work but you and I both know we don't live in an ideal world and sometimes you don't have the luxury of pride or the luxury of time to wait until things get better. I'm not going to say there is no abuse.  Some of what you described above certainly does happen but I'm also confident in saying that some of those people who you judged probably had more going on in their lives than is readily apparent to a part time night manager. Unfortunately it seems that a real solution to the problem isn't on any ones agenda.  Some talk about cutting all programs, some talk about adding all sorts of restrictions or mandates, and some say increase funding.  None of them get at the heart of the real problem.  There is enough money in the system, there are already plenty of restrictions, but the process is so broken and mismanaged that no one can really see the big picture of how all the different benefit programs actually work or don't work for an average person.  
    • Spinnerbait Brands
      I have been watching Randy Howell catch em on Hawg Caller Proven Winner Spinnerbaits. I have a few on the way. I'm excited to try out a new brand and see what their durability is compared to the Terminator T-1's and War Eagle's that I normally use.
    • Spawn
      Lilacs are blooming and there is a new moon tomorrow. Warm, relatively stable temps for the next couple days too. It's about that time
    • Best and biggest Steak in Brainerd area?
      Try their smoked bacon as an appetizer sometime - very good.  We go in there with a group of guys and buy it by the pound.  The bartender thinks we are crazy...  Very nice place and fun bartenders to talk to. I believe they have the prime rib on weekends.  That is very good also. 
    • Senkos - t vs w
      Open water - Wacky Docks & Weeds - Trigged  
      I absolutely believe it does. Especially when that grocery store is in a small town where you know everyone anyway. When you see these people around town all the time and witness the lifestyle they lead you tend to come away with a different perspective.  I worked in grocery stores for 15 years of my life from high school up to my late 20's. Even then with as young and dumb as I was I knew something wasn't right. People I knew very well who worked less than me, partied more than me and drove nicer cars than me were getting assistance.  Your comment about what food they buy also speaks a lot about the person buying it. Most of the food stamp customers would buy the easiest and most expensive meals they could get away with. On the other hand, we had farm wives who came in and bought staples like flour, sugar, etc and you knew that meant that they were taking the time to prepare homemade less expensive meals for their family. WIC vouchers used to allow the users to get one bag of dried beans. Do you think any of these "needy" people would even bother to take the beans? No, hardly any of them took the beans but at my house as a kid my mom made a pot of bean or split pea soup all the time. It was a cheap meal and to those people it would have been a free meal but they didn't bother to take them home. Back in the paper food stamp days, people used to go through the line several times with a piece of penny bubble gum so they could pay for it with a $1 food stamp and get the change back in real money. When they had enough change accumulated they would buy a pack of cigarettes. There were also the ones who came in and got $20 worth of groceries with food stamps but then whip out a $20 bill to buy a carton of smokes. Then you might see them heading to the liquor store to get another $20 case of beer. I went back to work at the store part time as a night manager a few nights a week about 6 or 7 years ago after a long time out of the business. Not much had changed except EBT cards replaced food stamps and the types of food allowable had become more lenient. Now you get Peanut butter with your WIC coupon and all kinds of prepared deli foods were allowed for purchase. I even saw one woman buying sushi! One guy came in and bought an entire plastic grocery bag full of candy.  Very few people I came in contact with who were getting assistance actually struck me as being any more in need than the next guy.    This I can agree with. Yes I can. Why not have some pride? Why not look toward the future and attempt to better yourself? That $500 loss/month could eventually turn into a +$2000 per month if the person decides to do the right thing, take the job, work hard and move up the ladder. Why be so short-sighted?
    • Senkos - t vs w
      Honestly I start out with them texas rigged, then when they get all torn up and won't stay threaded I just rehook them as wacky   Ok....sometimes I start wacky I guess.  I really like the yum or gander brand.  Big Bite Work as well, the original "SENKO" is a killer lure, but at $.50 a pc it hurts the pocket book when sometimes you only get one fish per, and especially when that one fish is a 10" dink.
    • Little Girl Detained By Police After Trying to Buy School Lunch with Real $2 Bill
      I get them on purpose from time to time just to mess with people too. It's amazing how my people don't know there is a such a thing.   
  • HSO Sponsors