I have been meaning to replace the bunks on my trailer for some time now. After my last trip out, I found out how urgent the replacement has become now. I maybe have one more load-up before major issues could occur and cause my not to load up.
So if I want to fish yet this fall, I will have to replace my bad bunk and why not just redo all of them. I am replacing my two long bottom runner bunks and my two side bunks. One of my side bunks also came loose early this year and the bracket that holds the bunk to the trailer up has become an obstacle if the side bunk moves away during loading (a sharp metal object sticking straight up). The cool part is I am going to upgrade my side bunks. I am making them a little longer and going from a 2.5"-3" tall to a 2"x6" tall. That should help with loading in large waves and get the boat on the trailer straight every time.
I would say this would cost of this project is around $60.00 or less. I have the wood, plus having pretty much all the tools, it is only going to cost me around $20.00 and my labor doing this.
OK, up to speed.
Items I am using for this project:
1) Qty 3 14' 2"x6" Treated Preserve ground contact boards (which I have). You could go shorter and save money if buying them, unless the length is needed
2) Flor Craft by Biotech Indoor and outdoor adhesive. Dries water tight and I am going to try and push only a quart for this project.
3) A cheap adhesive trowel, 1/8" notch.
4) Strips of indoor/outdoor carpet cut to size from Menards
5) 2" putty knife
6) Heavy duty staple gun.
7) Utility knife.
8) Blocks or any heavy items to spread the weight out even, while letting glue cure.
First I gathered all items needed for this project:
Then I cut the needed lengths from boat trailer and cut to size:
I started with the main two runner bunks. I sized up the carpet, to make sure things would fit together. Plus I let the carpet lay flat for a day or so, to get rid any curve that occurs when being rolled up at the store:
I then applied the first round of glue, while following the instructions on the glue to a "T". I also wanted to make sure I stay straight with the grain of the carpet, so a 90 deg. fold would be easier:
Once the boards where flipped, I placed weights on the boards during the glue drying process:
Then, I started in on the side bunks:
On the side bunks (for esthetic reasons) I am going to do a corner seam. This way I fill both sides of the board without a seam in the middle. The one side of the carpet makes contact with the boat and the other side you will while looking at the trailer. My seam will be on the bottom out side. I made some guide markings on the back side of carpet, to make sure placement was set proper (as seen in the image):
At this point, I let the bunks sit for the proper amount of time needed for glue to cure. At least 48 hours, but I ended up letting them sit for over a week before I could get back on this project.